Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By BobMama
Hi,

I have always had a dream to fly Commercial Airlines. However I am very worried that I may not be able to do so because I have some colour deficiency. I believe it's the Red-green deficiency. I am not quite sure how severe it is but I won't bother to take the ishihara test because I know I won't pass it anyway.

So I came across the CAD test which is more accurate and can still allow colour deficient people to pursue their dreams. I have some questions regarding the CAD test for anyone who has had it before, especially if you were colour blind and managed to pass it.

1-Is it difficult to pass if you're colour blind, especially red-green?
2-what happens during the CAD test, what sorts of tests do they ask and show.
3-What happens if I don't see some of the colours and I miss them?
4-I heard that If I don't pass I may be restricted to Day flying only, excluding night times. Now what I want to know is does that mean I can fly an airline passenger plane on day time only? Like e.g. a boeing 737 or an Airbus. If that's true then I am okay with that.
5-I've heard that in Australia they don't hold these sorts of restrictions on colour blind people, now does that mean it's possible for me to go Australia and get approved for that? I am a British citizen, would I need to be an Australian citizen?

Thank you very much.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In the UK the only way to get an unrestricted Class 1 is by passing either the Ishihara tests or if you fail them to do the CAD test.

If you want to do this ahead of the full Class 1 then you can have this done by Adrian Chorley.

https://www.aviationvisionservices.com

If you fail the CAD then you are not going to get a UK EASA Class 1 and without that you won't be able to get a CPL and ATPL.

It doesn't matter whether you think you will be able to fly by day only, not only will no organisation employ a commercial pilot with such a retraction, EASA does not permit those with a colour vision deficiency to hold a Class 1.

The FAA has a slightly different way of assessing colour vision ability - read SODA Color vision on their website, in short after an assessment with a AME - can be in the UK and failing the Ishihara plates you need to go to the States to do a further test, looking at different colours shone with a light gun from a control tower.

The situation in Oz is different again. I suggest reading on Pprune if you have any interest in pursuing that option.

You can have a look at what the CAD looks like by looking at the CAD website from City University.

https://www.city.ac.uk/about/schools/he ... ision-test

Good luck with the medical.
BobMama liked this
By BobMama
Thank you for your response and help Flyin Dutch.
Regarding the fact that they wouldn't hire someone who fly's day time only, then why do they put that restriction in the first place if they know there's no chance of doing anything with that commercially?
By riverrock
Flying Dutch has provided you with good info.
https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Exami ... lots-(EASA)/Conditions/Visual/Colour-vision-guidance-material-GM/

I understand you used to be able to get a CPL & Class 1 medical with a daytime only restriction (might still be able to in a few places - Canada?) but that changed with EASA many years ago.

You can instruct non-remunerated (expenses only) without a Class 1 medical (or a CPL) - but that isn't going to be much use to you.

Better to get the various tests done to work out your restrictions before spending additional money.
By Flyin'Dutch'
BobMama wrote:Thank you for your response and help Flyin Dutch.
Regarding the fact that they wouldn't hire someone who fly's day time only, then why do they put that restriction in the first place if they know there's no chance of doing anything with that commercially?

Cause, them's the rules*

*me trying to explain them is not the same me defending them so don't shoot the messenger!
By FlightDek
riverrock wrote:You can instruct non-remunerated (expenses only) without a Class 1 medical (or a CPL) - but that isn't going to be much use to you.

I thought you could be a paid PPL flying instructor with a Class 2. for CPL instructing you need a Class 1. Happy to be corrected.

Dek
By Flyin'Dutch'
Some final thoughts -

Some other EASA states use the anomaloscope to assess colour vision and some people will pass those but not the CAD.

If someone has done an assessment and passed the anomaloscope and then requests a transfer of their record to the UK CAA the CAA will insist on the pilot to have the CAD and if that is failed then no Class 1 will be issued.

Some people in the past have done some NAA shopping - and some then did not declare they have had a previous medical assessment - upon discovery thereof it is policy to decline issuing a medical certificate and decline a further assessment on the basis of not being a fit person to hold a licence...
By riverrock
FlightDek wrote:
riverrock wrote:You can instruct non-remunerated (expenses only) without a Class 1 medical (or a CPL) - but that isn't going to be much use to you.

I thought you could be a paid PPL flying instructor with a Class 2. for CPL instructing you need a Class 1. Happy to be corrected.

Apologies - yes - FCL.205.A PPL(A) ­ Privileges refers.
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... rt-FCL.pdf
FCL.205.A PPL(A) – Privileges
Regulation (EU) No 245/2014
(a) The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as PIC or co-pilot on aeroplanes or TMGs engaged in non-commercial operations.
(b) Notwithstanding the paragraph above, the holder of a PPL(A) with instructor or examiner privileges may receive remuneration for:
(1) the provision of flight instruction for the LAPL(A) or PPL(A);
(2) the conduct of skill tests and proficiency checks for these licences;
(3) the training, testing and checking for the ratings or certificates attached to this licence
FlightDek liked this
By QSD
I am CVD. I failed the Ishihara plates (I only got three out of fifteen correct) and the lantern tests. Nevertheless, I have held both an EASA class 1 medical and an EASA CPL, albeit with restrictions added to the medical certificate to forbid me from flying at night or as a public transport pilot.

I have now allowed my class 1 to lapse to class 2 as I can now be paid to instruct as a PPL.

The aviation authorities around the world seem intent on maintaining these prohibitions for CVD pilots - even the Australian CAA has tried to roll back the clock and undo the relaxation of their rules that they bought in reluctantly a few decades ago, after loosing a court case. There is a mega thread on the subject over on Pprune if you want more details. The Australian experience actually showed zero problems resulting from CVD over several decades of actual flight and thousands of sim checks, but don’t expect anything to change as a result.

I have never bothered with the CAD test. I believe that more people with some colour vision defects are able to pass it than passed the old lantern tests, but it is still an abstract test that does not represent any real flying task. If you can pass it, you’re golden though.

As an instructor, I have never found the night flying restriction to be particularly onerous, although obviously it eliminates night rating training as a source of income.

It is now possible to get an instrument rating with CVD, you just won’t be able to use it at night.
By LRM
These restrictions you mention - no flying at night and no public transport - was that from before Brexit under EASA and with reference to which part of PART MED? Special conditions?

Thanks
By QSD
My original restricted class 1 was issued in 2009, which was pre EASA I think. They (the CAA) issued it so that I could get a CPL and become a paid flying instructor (being paid as a PPL was not permitted back then).

They also waived the night rating prerequisite and allowed me to count the 300 nm cross country I flew as an FAA student in the US. That was in the days that the CAA were a bit more flexible about things!

The EASA medical rules were more restrictive, but I continued to get my class 1 renewed with the all the restrictions until I decided to drop to class 2 a few years ago, mainly for cost reasons.

I now have a class 2 with a VCL (valid by day only) restriction. I don’t think they would make an initial issue of a class 1 to a CVD person nowadays either under EASA or the CAA.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Pre-EASA the CAA did issue some Class 1 Medicals to people with colour vision issues with the aforementioned limitations.

That stopped after EASA. Those who had the Class 1 with the limitations were allowed to keep them.

It was always and still is possible to get an IR with a 'no night flying' limitation

Colour vision requirements are bolleaux.

But the regulations clearly state differently.