Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Great video: Brought back fond memories of one of the late Keef and I west coast flying fortnights in 2006 when we flew into Sedona on the reciprocal runway in an Archer: slight complication is towering rock formation on the late downwind you have to fly around, temporarily losing sight of the runway.

We got weathered in for an extra day when the mesa was shrouded by cloud for 24 hours:

Is the airport restaurant still there? We had a fantastic Crab night, bibs and all.

Peter :wink:
FlyboyStu liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
PeteSpencer wrote:Is the airport restaurant still there?

Think the one that's there now is fairly new. Not sure if it's the same people.
By Rob L
Thanks for posting!
As a fresh UK PPL in the early 1990s , I got my very easy 61.75 FAA ticket (whatever it was called back then) at Deer Valley, Phoenix and then immediately rented a C150 to fly to Sedona two-up in a Cessna 150.
I was completely ignorant of density altitude. Thankfully it was winter!

I went from there to Payson which was completely snow-covered. The ridge between the two is about 10,000 feet AMSL.

Quite how I and my passenger survived the trip in a 100-hp aircraft makes me look back upon it in wonder. :oops:
FlyboyStu liked this
By FlyboyStu
PeteSpencer wrote:We got weathered in for an extra day when the mesa was shrouded by cloud for 24 hours:

Is the airport restaurant still there? We had a fantastic Crab night, bibs and all.

Peter :wink:

I've heard about the cloud risk; luckily we had perfect weather, although the following day a cold front brought 40 knot winds north of the Grand Canyon and required us to do the rest of the 'flying trip' by road. It was literally a flying visit so we didn't visit the restaurant, although I believe there is one around 100m down the road.

Stu
By FlyboyStu
Rob L wrote:Thanks for posting!
As a fresh UK PPL in the early 1990s , I got my very easy 61.75 FAA ticket (whatever it was called back then) at Deer Valley, Phoenix and then immediately rented a C150 to fly to Sedona two-up in a Cessna 150.
I was completely ignorant of density altitude. Thankfully it was winter!

I went from there to Payson which was completely snow-covered. The ridge between the two is about 10,000 feet AMSL.

Quite how I and my passenger survived the trip in a 100-hp aircraft makes me look back upon it in wonder. :oops:

We also flew from Sedona to Payson; next video, when I get round to editing it! Chandler, where I hired from, insist on DA training, which I was glad to take as it was 32C even in November!
Rob L, Dave W liked this
By Iceman
As Pete says, it brings back memories of some great flying in the Western US in 2002 in the same aircraft that Pete and Keef used. We lunch stopped at Sedona en route between Tucson and Grand Canyon International via Meteor Crater that day. Long overdue for a return visit.

Iceman 8)
Dave W, FlyboyStu liked this