Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Cunningham6176
Hello,

wondered if anyone could help me, I wish to undertake my Class 1 soon and my concern is with the eye testing, my corrected prescription is well in the requirements, however my problem is the distance vision or how they conduct this.

For example testing with my local Specsavers my corrected vision is

6/6 in the right eye
6/7.5 in the left
6/6 both together

but when at home if I conduct the test using a snellen chart at 6m away I struggle with my left eye to achieve the minium standard of 6/9.

So my question is how do they test for this at the Class 1 conduct the test is it the same as an optician in a chair for the illuminated screen?

many thanks :D
Last edited by Cunningham6176 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JAFO
Cunningham6176 wrote:if I conduct the test using a smelled chart at 6m away I struggle

I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure that you get to look at the chart and don't have to determine the letters on it by smell alone. :D
By Bathman
When the medical was done at the CAA the test chart was smack on 6 meters. I would be surprised if the specsavers one is.

If you wan't to improve your chances when you guess then look up Sloan letters and snellen charts. Of course they may not use a snellen chart or the sloan letters.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
They are not going to emulate your home set up are they?

If they find the same as Specsavers then your good to go - subject to your correction beeng acceptable.

Should you be unsure go and see Adrian Chorley. He does the tests for a number of AeMCs but also offers the eye test alone in his own clinic.
Cunningham6176 liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:They are not going to emulate your home set up are they?

If they find the same as Specsavers then your good to go - subject to your correction beeng acceptable.

Should you be unsure go and see Adrian Chorley. He does the tests for a number of AeMCs but also offers the eye test alone in his own clinic.

Thank you I will look that up, obviously I am aware the surrounding will be different then my home but the question is how they test for the VA as there is many different ways of doing it, dark room and lit up screen or just the plain old 6m and a chart. :thumright:
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cunningham6176 wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Should you be unsure go and see Adrian Chorley. He does the tests for a number of AeMCs but also offers the eye test alone in his own clinic.

does he do the initial medical? :D

The eye part for AeMCs as part of the initial but he also offers a service whereby he does the same examination for people who are worried whether they meet the standard.

https://www.aviationvisionservices.com/fees/
Cunningham6176 liked this
By Cunningham6176
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Cunningham6176 wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Should you be unsure go and see Adrian Chorley. He does the tests for a number of AeMCs but also offers the eye test alone in his own clinic.

does he do the initial medical? :D

The eye part for AeMCs as part of the initial but he also offers a service whereby he does the same examination for people who are worried whether they meet the standard.

https://www.aviationvisionservices.com/fees/

Thank you for your help, I have emailed him today and hope to book a test, would you possibly know if I conducted the eye test with him could i use that in my initial medical when I come to do the rest of it?