Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
^^^^^^^ AIUI, by the association(s) * (BHGA? ), with the tacit approval of the CAA......In the same way, LAA are delegated responsibility for homebuilts and orphans and Microlights, which started with minimalist rag-and-tube designs such as Weedhopper (3 axis?) and hang-gliders with a suspended powered pod.

Now, of course, we have 70-100MPH Flexwings and sleek composite conventional aircraft sidling into the category by virtue of weight and wing-loading (stall-speed) limitations being met.

I appreciate there's a big grey -area where some Microlights are administered by the LAA whilst the majority are with the BMAA The situation is only going to get more untidy if the 600 KG limit is adopted.
-Probably another reason the latter 2 organisations are suggesting to their members that a merger should be considered. ...Oh, and the issue of Microlight Pilot's licences has now been "farmed-out" to the BMAA.

I believe there is a revival of "Hangar-queens" being resurrected and converted to SSDR and I see a compelling case for this as a means of avoiding the annual Permit cost and inspection charges..

Then, of course, you have the newish Nanolight class, which, (AIUI) is a temporary trial-class.
Neither of the latter two are falling out of the sky, so one can possibly conclude that the airworthiness regulations are somewhat over-zealous in their requirements.
As you probably all know, I'm not a qualified pilot, but I have flown a bit in both fixed and flexwings and take a keen interest in the hobby.
* Admittedly, supervision (membership) is voluntary and I think Nanos fall into this group as well, they have the advantage of a very good association members' 3-rd party insurance deal which must ,surely, attract membership.
By FlarePath
IMCR wrote:"Your flyer ID is your acknowledgement of competency as a remote pilot."

Really? All I did was answer 20 questions. ;--)

No different to answering 20 questions on an on-line test about airfield elevations, flight rules, winch launching, parachute sites, checking Metforms etc, ensures you will never ever infringe CAS again. :cry:
By tomshep
Not quite. This is an acknowledgement that you are now considered qualified to know better so if you do bust airspace or fly into a Red Arrows display, we can bust you.
(Although as you are below the age of criminal responsibility or are twelve and without an income, we'll have to drop it because it isn't worth our while.)
By Joff
Steve - re regulation I thought you were talking about hangliders and powered parachutes rather than micro lights / LAA types? - BHPA aren’t a regulator and I don’t believe there is a legal requirement to join. Not aware there is any regulation of these?
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
^^^^^^^I did say "voluntary"....... Early hang-glider and microlight manufacturers, AIUI, formed a fairly informal code of practice, When the CAA got involved, the fledgling BMAA was charged with administering the build-quality (part S ?) Effectively, it's Certification and we now have no Flexwing manufacturer in this country. I think the cost of certification and compliance was a major cause of the decline and the gamble of a very expensive Composite design finally killed P&M..

Only time will tell if the new Indian owners of the P&M name and IP can re-establish a UK Flexwing market.