Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Kemble Pitts
I have a soft spot for Old Sarum; my first job out of college was in the technical office at Edgley Aircraft there, I led the team that got the first CAA aerodrome licence for the place in 1985, had my first flying lesson there, made some great friends there ...

But I rarely fly there nowadays as it is just uninviting for some reason, its dull, the cafe is dull, the atmosphere is dull, no atmosphere somehow. :(
By LowNSlow1
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
tomshep; apologies, I knew that it was closing toward the year end but hadn't trawled far enough back to realise that the actual date had already been raised.
By LowNSlow1
tomshep; after trawling through the thread it appears that the actual closure date hasn't been mentioned anywhere so you were a bit previous with your sarcasm. Maybe time to unknot the twist in your knickers.
Tim Dawson liked this
By PlaneStupid
https://www.no5.com/media/publications/ ... -and-more/

The Inspector carefully noted in her decision the Appellant's fall-back position: namely the maintenance of flying at Old Sarum Airfield would be secure even if planning permission was not granted. [DL 60). In a twist following the decision by the Inspector, two weeks later aircraft owners were given notice to leave Old Sarum Airfield, as reported in the Salisbury Journal.
By LowNSlow1
The quote in the letter was "may not provide further loans after 31-Oct-19". You comment on the letter was "a pack of lies".

Get over yourself. In WW2 jargon "over and out"...…….
By tomshep
Quoting directly from the letter:
" Your licence will expire on 31st October 2019 and you will be required to leave the premises."

So you are mistaken.
By Lockhaven
It will be another sad loss of an active airfield in the UK, however as much as it upsets many people surely the owners can do as they wish with their own property, not that I agree with what they are doing.

Last edited by Lockhaven on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Gustosomerset
At the risk of having missed this earlier in the debate (if I have, apologies) - what do people think the owner's strategy really is?

"The Wiltshire Core Strategy (CS) Core Policy 25 supported the principle of new development at the Airfield but sought to strike an appropriate balance between the flying activity and the amenity of the residents of Salisbury."
So the planners are happy in principle for the owners to build new houses - though evidently not as many as he wanted. But the principle of such development is based on a balance with flying activity. Remove the flying activity and you remove any chance of achieving that balance.
Do people seriously believe that the owner is thus undermining the chances of a revised application (at least in the near future) simply in a fit of pique? That seems unlikely to me...
By TheFarmer
I keep saying this, time after time. I recall being Monocock and Marjorie and saying it then, too.

Unless GA stops wanting to be cheap, there will be nowhere to fly to.

For some reason, everyone whinges about a landing fee. Or that the fish pie at X is 80p dearer than the fish pie at Y.

It’s madness.

Over the years GA has been on self-destruct. I’ve seen it happen since I got my PPL in 1989. It’s become a price sensitive hobby for people where the hardware’s value has outstretched the user’s pockets.

Unless you fly something that can get in and out of 500 metre strips, GA is not going to be viable for many in 20 years time.
spaughty, maztam, Nick and 8 others liked this