Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Cheers for that input @LysanderV8 . I am always happy to take on board the wisdom of somebody with a little more insight than I .

[That's probably most of them here,, :D ]

But seriously , I am rather excited that a new phase could be about to begin for SHM . Despite being very critical of its recent past , I have a bit of a soft spot for the old place , as I was introduced to GA at Shoreham back in the early 1970s , when an old retired policeman took me up in a C.172 . I'm sure he rented it from Toon . I distinctly remember rwy 03/21 being grass back then . This same old boy had a funny little VW powered single seater in his garage . Which from the knowledge I have now , believe was probably a Tipsy Nipper . I'd love to know if it ever flew .

But re: the forthcoming fly-in . Let's pray for a good day weather-wise and that a new era for SHM is just around the corner .

..........Oh and @malcolmfrost :D . I have arrival slot #10 and I promise no 'Jumbo circuits' and will attempt to vacate expeditiously ... :D
malcolmfrost, PaulSS, kanga liked this
By PaulSS
I agree; the Australians have an optimistic view of what constitutes a city. However, Bunbury does have a cathedral (albeit a Carp one that is no bigger than a standard church) and, therefore, it gets the 'city' moniker.

All that having been said, a lovely (free) runway and unlimited airspace all around. They can call it whatever they want for that :D

PS: I used to live in West Sussex and fly a 182 from Shoreham. I liked the place and will go back there if they reduce the landing fee and I'm in the UK (just to get back to the original thread).
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
LysanderV8 wrote:I’m advised that landing fees at Shoreham will probably reduce slightly next month .....

mmcp42 wrote:hee hee by Christmas they'll be paying us to land then!

Or it's going A/G permanently and the instrument approach will be withdrawn.

In which context, why aren't the NDB/DME approaches in the EGKA AIP entry?
By peterh337
The ritual rubbishing of Shoreham, mostly by the same old 5hrs/year crowd, is totally misplaced, and has been thus more or less the whole time I have been based there (since 2000). It's a really nice airfield, with friendly ATC, a friendly fire crew, a runway and taxiways in good condition, and a landing fee which is fine in the context of flying anything bigger than a kite, to a decent location. A taxi to anywhere will cost you more.

One would have hoped that the "Flyer forum boycott any place over 10 quid" brigade would have got bored by now, or maybe heard about Wellesbourne (among a list of closed or potentially closing airfields) but evidently not.

In the meantime most of UK GA flies to "greasy all day breakfast fry-up" dumps, mostly in the middle of nowhere, because the landing fee is a fiver. Your medical is only a stent away... but hey that's OK because you can get them free on the NHS. They tend to do up to about three, and a bypass for cases beyond that. And a taxi from these places to somewhere useful is about 10x the landing fee (I once paid £100 from a well known "tenner" place, in the middle of nowhere).

Some years ago I posted an aerial photo here, showing the walk to the town, around the riverboats, etc, but can't find it now.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shoreham sits near the middle of the league table: viewtopic.php?t=111967

If there is no public funding or any other forms of funding, then an aerodrome will have to recover some of its costs through landing fees. It's either this or it risks closing for good unless it falls back into public ownership.

But if one doesn't like the fee(s) here or elsewhere, then I suggest to also speak to their MP and the DfT concerning issues of transport.

Don't just avoid / boycott everything you don't like the price of, or you will eventually have nowhere to land.
Boswell, GAFlyer4Fun liked this
By peterh337
Exactly.

Shoreham has attracted a lot of venom which doesn't seem to be based on any reality - unless something happened more than 20 years ago.

OTOH, reports from 5hr/year pilots need to be regarded with caution. These people turn up, calling up Shoreham Radar for a traffic service, and when they are told there is no "radar" they slag the place off on social media...

I found the pic in a post elsewhere
https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-air ... 337#225337

There is plenty to do at the end of a short walk. You don't get this at most GA airfields.
Dodo, Boswell, AndyR and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
We dropped into Shoreham today (19th) on the way back from Compton Abbas to take advantage of the £10 landing fee offer.

Turned out we were a month early :roll:

That's another thirty quid in their coffers.

I really must read things more carefully

Rob P
PaulB, 2Donkeys liked this