Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PlaneStupid
Ben K wrote:
PlaneStupid wrote:
Ben K wrote:
:roll:

Well, at least you phrased it politely this time.

Why not direct your questions at the SOS Facebook group? I hear they have most, if not all, of the answers for anything to do with OSAF.

Oh. I just thought you seemed to know more about Old Sarum Airfield than anyone else - sorry. :shock:

I'd accept your apology - if I didn't have doubts over your sincerity.[/quote]

I assume from your undying and loyal defence of them, you have no doubts about the sincerity of the owners of Old Sarum either?
Good for you, the world could do with more optimists.
By Ben K
PlaneStupid wrote:I assume from your undying and loyal defence of them, you have no doubts about the sincerity of the owners of Old Sarum either?

If you could point me in the direction of my 'undying and loyal defence' I'd be very grateful. I'll refer to (again) the words of a wiser man than me;

There are, however, lots of factors at work in that decline and I simply don't know enough about the motives, plans and actions of the owners and other parties to be able to comment authoritatively upon them.

However, based on what I've read on the SOS group for the past 4 or something years, I have not formed a very favourable opinion of the handful of frequent posters there; and I am cynical as to the stated intentions of said group.
By PlaneStupid
Ben K wrote:
PlaneStupid wrote:I assume from your undying and loyal defence of them, you have no doubts about the sincerity of the owners of Old Sarum either?

If you could point me in the direction of my 'undying and loyal defence' I'd be very grateful. I'll refer to (again) the words of a wiser man than me;

There are, however, lots of factors at work in that decline and I simply don't know enough about the motives, plans and actions of the owners and other parties to be able to comment authoritatively upon them.

However, based on what I've read on the SOS group for the past 4 or something years, I have not formed a very favourable opinion of the handful of frequent posters there; and I am cynical as to the stated intentions of said group.

I’ll be honest - I’ve not gone back 4 years, but I can’t see what your problem is with the posters on the Facebook group. The points and concerns they’ve raised have been also been highlighted by virtually every outside agency so not the ramblings of a group of fanatics. They just seem a group united by their unease over the sincerity of the owner and many references to him apparently lashing out with ultimatums if he didn’t get planning approval seem to substantiate them. As with any speculation, there’s a risk that one might not get any return on a financial investment. He lost this one but now seems to want someone else to pay for it.

The final decision on the rejection of the planning application was made by an independently appointed government inspector, who further reiterated the same concerns; the heritage, the impact on the Old Sarum scheduled monument and the historical assets so nothing to do with the SOS group.

I can’t vouch for their accuracy, but there’s posts from users of the airfield who claim a regime and policy of active discouragement from the management with an intent to wind down flying there anyway. If you are a pilot there, maybe you can assure everyone that this was never the case and that these allegations are patently untrue?

I know of the current manager there and actually feel quite sorry for him. He’s had his own privately purchased slice of land there reduced to a valueless strip. Applications to develop on it have been soundly thrown out by the council. Sad, because he always told anyone who would listen that it was his pension plan. Contacts tell me that there has been further moves behind the scenes - that he is possibly not party to - so he may well be cut even further adrift.
By Ben K
PlaneStupid wrote:

Ben K wrote:If you could point me in the direction of my 'undying and loyal defence' I'd be very grateful.

Nothing about the above then?

I’ll be honest - I’ve not gone back 4 years, but I can’t see what your problem is with the posters on the Facebook group.

That's because everyone who questions the group or doesn't toe the party line gets chucked out and their posts deleted. Remember Cap Reynolds?

The points and concerns they’ve raised have been also been highlighted by virtually every outside agency so not the ramblings of a group of fanatics. They just seem a group united by their unease over the sincerity of the owner and many references to him apparently lashing out with ultimatums if he didn’t get planning approval seem to substantiate them. As with any speculation, there’s a risk that one might not get any return on a financial investment. He lost this one but now seems to want someone else to pay for it.

That group seems to represent an awful lot of people, but the ones who might have a lot at stake - the pilots and business owners - seem to be largely absent.

The final decision on the rejection of the planning application was made by an independently appointed government inspector, who further reiterated the same concerns; the heritage, the impact on the Old Sarum scheduled monument and the historical assets so nothing to do with the SOS group.

The group certainly didn't help! And I find it ironic that a group called Save Old Sarum applauded the decision that could very well end up ending flying there.

I can’t vouch for their accuracy, but there’s posts from users of the airfield who claim a regime and policy of active discouragement from the management with an intent to wind down flying there anyway. If you are a pilot there, maybe you can assure everyone that this was never the case and that these allegations are patently untrue?

Aren't you a pilot there, then?

And adding new runway lights, which enabled night flying for the first time in years (decades?), lifting of restrictions on heavier aircraft, new contracts for helicopter training schools, and a series of airshows over the past few years seems a strange way to go about 'a policy of active discouragement' to me.

I know of the current manager there and actually feel quite sorry for him. He’s had his own privately purchased slice of land there reduced to a valueless strip. Applications to develop on it have been soundly thrown out by the council. Sad, because he always told anyone who would listen that it was his pension plan. Contacts tell me that there has been further moves behind the scenes - that he is possibly not party to - so he may well be cut even further adrift.

If you know so much about this manager, his private purchases, intentions, and so on - and you have 'contacts' feeding you behind the scenes information, why did you post (twice - the first time very rudely, which then got donked) asking for more information on him?
By PlaneStupid
I’m going - to use an aviation term - bail out here. You are clearly trying to invoke some sort of confrontation when all I want is a civil discussion.

Your tone comes across as needlessly aggressive, which is disappointing for what should be a friendly forum.

A shame.
By Ben K
PlaneStupid wrote:I’m going - to use an aviation term - bail out here. You are clearly trying to invoke some sort of confrontation when all I want is a civil discussion.

Your tone comes across as needlessly aggressive, which is disappointing for what should be a friendly forum.

A shame.

Oh the irony!
By Boggles
It seems a shame Wiltshire County Council have been a bit short-sighted on this issue; surely having some houses here would help sustain the airfield?
By Boggles
I would have happily bought a property there. I’ve just returned to the area after being away for 27 years.
By PlaneStupid
Boggles wrote:It seems a shame Wiltshire County Council have been a bit short-sighted on this issue; surely having some houses here would help sustain the airfield?

I wasn’t going to post again on this thread but
why do you think that would be a such good idea?? Surely a decent business plan should be their first move?

After all, as Ben K has pointed out:
“adding new runway lights, which enabled night flying for the first time in years (decades?), lifting of restrictions on heavier aircraft, new contracts for helicopter training schools, and a series of airshows over the past few years seems a strange way to go about 'a policy of active discouragement' to me.”
Despite doing all this, why are they are STILL losing money and it still misses the point about pilots being shown the door. The money raised from the ONE recent air show didn’t benefit the airfield at all. According to the owner, It went to charity.
Last edited by PlaneStupid on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PlaneStupid
tomshep wrote:Because not enough aircraft pay enough to use the airfield.

Why don’t more aircraft use it? Popham and Henstridge are always busy?