Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Boxkite
defcribed wrote:Can anyone suggest airfields or strips which allow (or even cater for and encourage) camping under the wing?

I take it you have a high wing aircraft?
:D
By RichardPearse
Beverley has camping next to the aircraft parking area, or at least used to when I flew in there. It's fairly near the coast & there's pubs/food in the village which is a longish-but-not-ridiculously-so walk away.
By LavanyaLea
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Low wing is fine except if you're of a startled disposition.

Yup, tried that already!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwi_gZEAiVV ... et7o9bcl4b
By kanga
ISTR The Flying Shack at Staverton has been known to allow a fly-in to park on their grass apron, and let pilot sleep in the clubhouse (using the facilities), and even to serve breakfast there; all by prior arrangement. I don't know how this was arranged nor whether they would let someone pitch a tent (presumably on their landside grass, with the gate locked, to satisfy airport authorities).

However, this was before a 'regime change' at both the Shack and the airport.
By Boxkite
malcolmfrost wrote:The AFE plate says camping allowed at Land's End but last time I was there the fireman didn't know anything!

A small group of us camped there a few years ago but there were no facilities other than a loo and we were stuck airside when the airport closed for the night.
By Charliesixtysix
ChrisT wrote:Last time I flew from Great Massingham there were some flex wings there that had camped overnight. Didn't get to chat unfortunately...

If that was late August, it was probably the Cottage Farm gang - they assure me the breakfast at the Dabbling Duck was every bit as good as the evening meal and beers the night before. :thumleft:
ChrisT, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By malcolmfrost
Boxkite wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:The AFE plate says camping allowed at Land's End but last time I was there the fireman didn't know anything!

A small group of us camped there a few years ago but there were no facilities other than a loo and we were stuck airside when the airport closed for the night.

Maybe its only if you can't get to Scilly or the cloudbase (unusually!) drops!
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's many years since I went there, it would have been 1999 for the eclipse, but Branscombe might be an option - back in the day camping airside next to the aircraft was allowed. Anyone been in there recently?