Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Jodelman
Boxkite wrote:British Association of Light Aircraft and Microlights.

According to the BMAA chairman they are not keen to have "Microlight" in any new name.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jodelman wrote:
According to the BMAA chairman they are not keen to have "Microlight" in any new name.

Funny, innit? Many don't like the word microlight, but want the new (EASA opt-out) 600kg aircraft to be microlights, so they can be flown on an NPPL (M) and qualify as microlights in Europe.
By rogerb
Microlight, Ulm call them what you will but there is no doubt that they have re-invigorated aviation for the masses throughout Europe.
Lower costs, new airstrips, new sociable clubs, cross border recognition with light touch authority.
Long may they have their somewhat separate identity.
kanga liked this
By patowalker
I couldn't agree more. They have envigorated aviation for the masses way beyond Europe. I learnt to fly microlights in Peru in the mid 80s.
By Chris Martyr
patowalker wrote:Funny, innit? Many don't like the word microlight, .

It is ironic indeed Donald , that for many , the 'M' word carries a certain stigma .

When in reality , the pioneers of our sport were flying aeroplanes which fell into exactly that category . [except there wasn't a 'category' was there]

I mean ,,,what was Otto Lillienthal if not a 19th century microlighter ?

What was Henri Mignet ? A 1930s microlighter wasn't he ??? As was Mr C.H. Latimer-Needham and Mr Don Pietenpol and countless others .
Maybe we should all just sit back and enjoy the hobby . As I'm sure that if them old boys are up there looking down on us , they are probably thinking :

FFS , is that all they've got to talk about after all that work we put in .....
JAFO liked this
By Rob L
Likewise: research the very early days of homebuilding in the USA. Until the 1950's, it was illegal to build your own aircraft there.

It took the likes of Paul Poberezny (and others) to get that overturned...but meanwhile back here in Europe, we had been flying homebuilts since the days of the Flying Flea.
By Nick
Light Flight. or Light Flying Association.
But what's in a name anyway? Just get out there and do it.

Nick
By Chris Martyr
I remember being openly very critical when the PFA changed to the LAA and wrote a letter which featured in LOOP magazine reflecting that .
The thing that irritated me was how they kept banging on about 'imaging' and 're-branding' . Like most LAA'ers , I have an aversion to such bullsh*t .

Oddly enough , all these years on , I think that having a title with 'AA' in it does actually serve a purpose and can imply a degree of authority . e.g. FAA , EAA , CAA , LAA .
Especially with view to the fact that nowadays the LAA do carry out a lot of duties on behalf of the CAA and have cultivated a very healthy relationship with them at Av.Hse, LGW.

Hopefully , once the dust has settled , they'll just arrive at a simple solution like ; ' The LAA incorporating The BMAA '.

The superb vid.clip from @ChampChump seems to show her as a lady of impeccable taste .

I reckon that she should decide ... :D [ There . How's that for teflon shoulders,, :lol: ]