Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Fellsteruk
What’s the duty on av gas l, was shocked to learn its more expensive than petrol or diesel, just kinda thought it would be cheaper, is it mostly duty?
By Fellsteruk
Thanks for the info

Why so expensive then is production limited to a few places? Jet fuel is like half the price. Mental :(
By CloudHound
Rumour has it that the Govt is (was) planning a fuel duty reduction in the next Budget.

Transport Secretary wouldn't be drawn on the matter but then swung onto take up of electric vehicles :thumleft:
By Gertie
CloudHound wrote:Transport Secretary wouldn't be drawn on the matter but then swung onto take up of electric vehicles :thumleft:

Of course once enough people are using electric vehicles they will have to be taxed in some way or other to replace the fuel duty.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:Why so expensive then is production limited to a few places? Jet fuel is like half the price. Mental :(

Jet fuel is taxed less/untaxed.

And it's basically just central heating oil anyway! ;-)
By romille
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Fellsteruk wrote:Why so expensive then is production limited to a few places? Jet fuel is like half the price. Mental :(

Even central heating oil attracts VAT at 5%.
By Fellsteruk
EVs will no doubt pay through road tax, at least for now anyway, mine is 330 a year. Cheaper EVs don’t pay anything but I doubt that will last for much longer.

That’s said I did read an article about them wanting to use smart meters to track usage for EVs to levy a tax on the electricity used for EVs which is just crazy

But your right as fuel duty reduces they will get somewhere else.
By Fellsteruk
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

If only you could get a PA28 to run on it..... anyone played with diesel conversions lol
By Flyin'Dutch'
Fellsteruk wrote:EVs will no doubt pay through road tax, at least for now anyway, mine is 330 a year. Cheaper EVs don’t pay anything but I doubt that will last for much longer.

That’s said I did read an article about them wanting to use smart meters to track usage for EVs to levy a tax on the electricity used for EVs which is just crazy

But your right as fuel duty reduces they will get somewhere else.

They need the money so will find a way to tax it, smart road tax with a transponder anyone?
By MikeB
The technical explanation for price differential between Avgas and Jet A-1 is that the former is dyed to a sexy designer blue colour and the latter isn't.

The facts that the fuels are completely different formulations with differing component prices, and the former is hugely outproduced by the latter may also have something to do with it. :thumright:
By riverrock
Indeed - last I heard no AVGAS was being refined in the UK so its all imported.
JET A1 is piped direct to the bigger airports direct from refineries!
By Rob L
JET A1 is used in large quantities by airliners and purchased by the tonne (maybe kilotonne); many airliners of which are owned/operated by governments (like BA was, but they're on a slow-down right now) :shock: :cheese:

Anyway, these people/governments and the airlines thereof have a BIG say in the tarrifs applied to fuel.

We poor folk buying fuel by the litre/ gallon/drum are small fry and are just rich people with an expensive hobby, eh? :?

(where do I find the sailing or horse emoticons to suggest that other more expensive hobbies are available?)