Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I asked my wife to track my flight today on FR24. It did not show up.

I have a Becker mode S transponder and PAW Rosetta both working.

Should FR24 pick up my mode S transmissions automatically?

Any tips please?

Thanks
The PAW will make no difference to FR24 picking you up.

If you only have mode S and not ADS-B out then FR24 relies on seeing you from at least 3 ground stations to multilaterate and work out your (approximate) position. Depending on where you were flying and what altitude (below around 3000' don't expect to be picked up in general) you may not have been in range of enough ground stations.

If the aircraft has ADS-B out where it is transmitting its position as well as its callsign then it only needs a single ground station to see it, thus will get plotted far more reliably.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I flew in East Sussex today and was tracked by FR24 from 275' on T/O and down to 125' on LDG. My super ADS-B set-up, courtesy of f.u.n.k.e. and Garmin, shows I reached a maximum speed of 516kts over Bexhill. :D

(f.u.n.k.e. told me they thought a TRT800 SW update to resolve the issue would be available in September, but no sign of it yet)
alexbrett2 wrote:If the aircraft has ADS-B out where it is transmitting its position as well as its callsign then it only needs a single ground station to see it, thus will get plotted far more reliably.

Far more reliably that it sometimes reckons our aircraft diverts into Lasham ... only 9 miles away.
I suppose it is in the correct county :lol:
@Paul_Sengupta
Make your own.

As you know from my boring thread on the PAW Forum, I have done this and found it was good fun to do (and relatively inexpensive). Even with my home-made collinear antenna I have received traffic up to 270nm away, so I was pretty pleased with that.

If you look on the FR24 Forum you will see some pretty simple instructions posted by some helpful guys on there. The reason they did this is because I couldn't have told you one end of a Raspberry Pi from the other, let alone what and how I was meant to type into it. As a result of their help I ended up not only feeding FR24 (and receiving a business subscription as a reward for doing so) but, also, a nice radar plot around my location showing all the traffic I was seeing. I know, a tad spotterish, but a bit of harmless fun.

I think when we relocate to the UK at the end of the year I will be setting up my system again. However, my plan will be to (a)set up a PAW OGN-R 'station' and (b)feed the 360Radar site to help them with their Mode S multilateration. If I can feed FR24 as well, using the same gear, then I will do so but I rather think the south coast of England has enough FR24 feeds :D

I am only hijacking the thread because alexbrett2 answered the OP's query almost straight away.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
FR24 has some extremely dodgy software in there which makes erroneous inferences.

On Friday, a friend flew into Welshpool from Alderney. His track shows him accelerating down runway 26 at Exeter, and climbing before turning right to head direct Welshpool. The flight info panel reports his journey as ‘Exeter-unknown’. He did not stop at Exeter.

I hope FR24 tracks are never used by the authorities as evidence in any way.
Previous aircraft didn't show on FR24, even if circling a ground station.

Turned out that it needed to be added to the FR24 database, which you can request on the FR24 forum, here:

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/ ... to=newpost

No idea what the deal with the database is, or why some aircraft are or aren't on it - I'm certain aircraft aren't usually manually added. Current aircraft shows up fine and neither I, nor the previous owner have added it.