Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
AlanM wrote:Chewing Gum

Chewing gum is banned in Singapore so leave it at home when packing your bags. Importation of chewing gums into the country, even if it is not for trading, is illegal.

Not Flushing the Toilet

Not flushing the toilet is more than just a breach of propriety in Singapore, you will be breaking the law if you do not.

I am liking the sound of Singapore more and more. I detest chewing gum and think people chewing it look like cows but without the docility and intelligence. And as for not flushing the toilet: if it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, flush it down too you filthy swine.

Back on topic, though. I do think that the OP made some very important points. It often takes someone with a different viewpoint to come along and point out that what you take to be normal and reasonable actually isn't.

Duxford was a good choice because that is one of the few airfields which has been substantially supported over the years, as part of the IWM, by public money, our money.

Oh, and I agree with @johnm, build houses on golf courses or, better still, build airfields on golf courses (and not in the way Harrison Ford did).
Well I did some circuits yesterday evening at an airfield not to far from me and when I left I was the only be there and I self announced on the radio. I then returned to my home base and could of done some circuits there again unannounced making my own calls on the radio

I haven't been to Cambridge for a long time but when I last went I have no hesitation in stating my home base is buiser.

Yet it manages just fine on a combination of 'radio' and 'traffic'. What I can't understand is why other airfields can't do the same.

Could anybody tell me how it works at Carlisle.
Wow, DX is never usually closed to visiting aircraft, so if they have a FISO problem, it really is beyond their control, they have plenty of FISO’s.

Based aircraft can operate without the tower as they have “out of hours procedures” to follow.

I regularly return to DX out of hours, when the only people left are the fire crew, I once queried this and said I used to fly out of a field that had no fire cover full stop, the fire crew don’t need to wait for me.

They pointed at the hangars behind me housing many unique aircraft, the only blackbird outside America, the only flying Blenheim, many other “onlys” and a bunch of flying Spitfires and a flying 109.

“They’re not here for you”, came the response.

I presume that’s why DX can’t open for visiting aircraft without a tower, but it’s just a presumption.

PS. It’s usually bloomin’ busy at DX, any day it’s flyable
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:... or, better still, build airfields on golf courses

That is not unheard of. In South Korea they stretch steel cables across fairways at night, so that the North Koreans don't turn them into airfields. :-)
By 2Donkeys
Cessna571 wrote:Do Cambridge still usually have a bunch of large military aircraft parked outside?

I can’t help but think the OP was unlucky in picking 2 unusual fields, one of which has a FISO issue it doesn’t usually have.

Cambridge normally has plenty of C130s parked outside.

The original post does seem to be a bit of a storm in a teacup. @Tropical John2 could have solved his problem by flying to Fowlmere - a lovely little field. No need for this thread.

Cambridge is not a public use airfield despite comments to the contrary, and the OOH system at weekends is working well for residents. OOH at Cambridge is subject not only to the 6-month prior residence rule pointed out by @Bobcro, but also to pilot total time and currency minima which avoids his concern that an inexperienced pilot who never flies, simply needs to be able to wait for 6 months to be able to cause mayhem.

Cranfield is not a public use airfield despite comments to the contrary there too. We might marvel at the lack of flexibility shown by its management, but it doesn't change the fact that the field is not a public resource.

Duxford is not normally closed to visiting pilots. A rare case, let's hope, of force majeure and not an indicator of things to come.

Meanwhile, the CAA should get on with encouraging a culture in which UNICOM is the norm for uncontrolled low-traffic-density fields, including those with Instrument Approach Procedures (where are our GPS approaches?). It works really well in the US and there is no reason why it shouldn't work here too.
PeteSpencer liked this
By Kittyhawk
Last week I decided to visit friends who live near Cambridge. On the only day the forecast wind was within limits, I called for PPR only to find that they require 24 hours notice. So I had to cancel the trip. Why is this? If I had been arriving in a Falcon 9000 needing special handling, then maybe, but I wasn’t. Do they have to get extra ATC staff in to cope with the stressful job of giving a landing clearance to a Jodel?
By 2Donkeys
Would Duxford or Fowlmere have been an option, rather than cancelling @Kittyhawk ?

I don't know why 24 hours PPR was insisted upon, (noting that it is a published AIP requirement). That is not the common experience at Cambridge for non-residents.
Could be that it’s a lovely sunny Sunday and he’s only one of the stretched controllers available for the field. He needs time off like everybody else - he is not going in on the chance of the odd bliddy Jodel turning up.
The insurance claims culture has killed off chance landing out of hours - if you make a ballsup putting it on the deck you may be tempted to claim airfield liability. That is why we have out of hours indemnity, I suppose.
Plan well ahead your intentions.
:D
velostar wrote:Do we know if Duxford is closed today or not? I was planning a visit there but as they don’t open until 10:00 I may plan something else.

Happy Sunday to all.

Still NOTAMmed closed to visiting aircraft.