Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulSS
@Lefty
DC's - big and heavy and clamp very tightly round my head - gives me a headache - especially as I wear specs. DC's are not comfortable for long periods if you have to wear specs or sunglasses.

I agree the old DCs are big and heavy but that is definitely not the case with DC One X/DC One X Pro. They are very light, comfortable and no head clamping. The difference between the two is the Pro sits on the ear, rather than over it. It is made more for bizjets/airliners etc where passive noise reduction is not so important and you are less likely to go upside-down :D
By Andrew Sinclair
When I was a global work warrior I used to wear a pair of Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones on commercial flights for hours and hours. They were very comfortable but I hadn’t used them for some years until I happened upon a on aviation adaptor kit made by UFlyMike. It arrived last week and I have been mighty impressed so far. A high spec ANR and comfortable.

The conversion kit plus shipping cost £226.08 at today’s $/£ exchange rate and has given my QC2 headset a new lease of life!

I now have a Sennheiser for sale if anyone is interested! I keep my first pair of DCs bought and adapted by Richard Holder in 1999 in reserve, they have served me well for 20 years :thumleft:
Last edited by Andrew Sinclair on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Instructor Errant wrote:When I was a global work warrior I used to wear a pair of Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones on commercial flights for hours and hours. They were very comfortable but I hadn’t used them for some years until I happened upon a on aviation adaptor kit made by UFlyMike. It arrived last week and I have been mighty impressed so far. A high spec ANR and comfortable.

The conversion kit plus shipping cost £226.08 at today’s $/£ exchange rate and has given my QC2 headset a new lease of life!

Have you used Bose X/A20 and if so how does it compare?
@Flyin'Dutch' yes I have and the ANR is indistinguishable to my lay ear. As far as the audio quality on the Tx/intercom/side tone side is concerned again very clear; so far - so good. I haven't conducted empirical audio testing mind you.

I did/do wonder whether the QC2 headset is rugged enough for the GA environment but that said the GA environment is as friendly/hostile as the care taken by the user. I spotted them whilst watching one of the Discovery channel 'Dangerous Flight' type programmes with a chap ferrying a twin around the globe.

Edited to add a photograph.

Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:... and if want to make non ANR headsets quieter whilst still being able to hear speech, the ultimateear custom made earplugs give 29db or 23db ....
https://www.ultimateear.com/product/filtered-plug-aviation/

I have these for motorcycling but not tried them flying.

Just putt the baffles in the cans and leave the ear plugs at home :wink: