Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Talkdownman wrote:
chevvron wrote:Who in their right mind would want to go to Milton Keynes?
Well, it sounds like you've been...
You think he's invoking his mitigation clause?
chevvron wrote:Who in their right mind...
and yes, I've been...
Last edited by neilmurg on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The infrastructure here lacks appropriate regulatory protection at aerodromes

It amazes me how entitled these owners are at doing so.

You’re simply deluded.

It amazes me at how entitled people like you are, Mr Chan!!

the GA industry is hung off the strings of a few dozen landowners

Err, yeah. Isn’t EVERY business ?!

There is some serious prima-donna unicorn stuff going on here. Is tomorrow the 2nd April?

:?
Last edited by TheFarmer on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idlelayabout liked this
By James Chan

Well, you could always write to your MP and demand your right to kick out all your users and kill off GA if that makes you feel happy.
By TheFarmer
James

It’s attitudes like yours that is rapidly killing off GA!! I’m amazed you can’t see it!!

Your expectant and demanding ‘entitled’ attitude makes landowners not really want your £10 landing fee (that you probably moan about), and you then you complain when airfields are turned into large housing developments.
Last edited by TheFarmer on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Chan wrote:
Well, you could always write to your MP and demand your right to kick out all your users and kill off GA if that makes you feel happy.
A good point. What's it like being 'people like you', do you have fun dinner parties? Can I come?
By TheFarmer
My point is that most GA flyers are actually missing the point.

They see the GA infrastructure as a foregone conclusion that they’re entitled to because they’ve paid £10,000 for a licence. It’s as if airfields come as a pre-requisite part of what they’ve bought into.

They don’t.

And the sooner the Chans of this worlds see this the better.

Sorry. It’s people like James who are arrogantly dissolving a fraternity that others are trying to buy into because they can’t see beyond their A5 kneeboards.
Last edited by TheFarmer on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By James Chan
makes landowners not really want your £10 landing fee (that you probably moan about)

Well, I have never complained about landing fees when they’re THAT small as I recognise aerodromes don’t receive public funding (but I recognise some would much rather prefer that they do).

I do have a problem when it all starts to hit around £35 and above.
Last edited by James Chan on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By James Chan
They don’t.

And the sooner the Chans of this worlds see this the better.

Sorry. It’s people like James who are arrogantly dissolving a fraternity that others are trying to buy into because they can’t see beyond their A5 kneeboards

No need to become disrespectful about others who hold contrasting views to your own.

For the record, I am not interested in demanding my rights to accessing someone’s private farm strip or closed community.

It’s the public ones that I care mostly about.
By James Chan
I can count lots of aerodromes with public use licenses and many more with ordinary use licenses that are essentially open to the public.

GA based businesses, individuals and other flying operations cannot reliably function depending on what side of the bed the aerodrome owner wakes up...

Isn’t EVERY business

You can see how Ofcom, Ofgem, and so on regulate businesses like Openreach to protect the interests of the public.
Last edited by James Chan on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
By AlanM
Tropical John2 wrote:I am visiting the UK (from Singapore).

One persons outrage is another persons normality. I have spent some time in Singapore and truly adore the area. From the bird park at night to sailing to Batam across the bay and Keppel Bay.

Yet let us not forget that the world has different values for different regions. There is no utopia. (Or maybe there is)

Whilst your annoyance at being unable to fly in to and land at a museum is (I believe) a poor snapshot of “Rip off Britain” Singapore has some concepts that are alien to some;

Homosexual Relations

The legislation on “Outrages on Decency” criminalizes same sex relations. This law used to be under the umbrella of “unnatural sex” or sex “against the order of nature.” Violators of this law can cost the offender up to two years in prison.

Chewing Gum

Chewing gum is banned in Singapore so leave it at home when packing your bags. Importation of chewing gums into the country, even if it is not for trading, is illegal.

Not Flushing the Toilet

Not flushing the toilet is more than just a breach of propriety in Singapore, you will be breaking the law if you do not.
It is regrettable that what was meant to be a serious contribution on an aviation matter and started with some interesting responses has turned into a personal slanging match. I don't understand most of it, including the reason for the last post above . Weird!

I'm out. Goodbye.
Bobcro liked this
If a private individual or organisation is given permission to provide some service to the public, whatever that service is there should be some law of “Commitment” on both sides.
Frinstance the airfield owner should not be allowed to shut down at his convenience, and the CAA should not be allowed to demand that services are in place when they are not required by the aircraft operator. So long as the aircraft operator/pilot is made aware of the situation he should be allowed to exercise his own judgement, that’s what he’s been trained to do.
In short. Remove the Nanny State and curb the Bully State.
It will never happen because we all need to be spoon fed!
Temp liked this
By johnm
Until the U.K. sees GA as a mode of transport and not as a polluting hobby rather less important than golf or motor racing we’ll struggle.

Personally I’d protect airfields and build housing on golf courses but as you all know I’m atypical :D
JAFO, WelshRichy, Crash one and 2 others liked this