Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By matthew_w100
PaulB wrote:I'm interested in this defibrillator thing... my 296's battery is also dead.

Then this will be worth 12 minutes of your time:

I used a bench power supply to defibrillate, rather than a PP9. I charged the two batteries in series at a constant current of 0.5A for about 3 hours, which brought the pack open-circuit voltage up to nearly the full 8.4 volts. I learned a lot about batteries, and saved myself the cost of a new one.

Sadly I wasn't the original owner of the device, and I don't think I'm even the current owner. So I don't think it's on support. So if anyone knows how to reset the date to make it read the same as my other (unaffected) 296 and 196 I would be very grateful.
PaulB liked this
By Ridders
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My 196 seems to be a few seconds out...
By matthew_w100
Wooo-Hooo - problem solved!

On the GPSmap devices there is a "Set Date" function in the menu on the Time setup panel, but it is normally greyed-out.

However forcing the unit to reset (press PAGE & ENTER while powering on) activates this option while the
it tries to locate itself. You can then set the current year, from which it works out the date and time itself.

Hope this helps someone - who may not even be a forumite given how this thread pops up whenever you Google Garmin 296 problems.
Paul_Sengupta, GrahamB, PaulB and 1 others liked this