Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
^^^^^^^^^ I am indeed glad that there's a section of the populace that revels in being allowed to try to legally kill others. It comes as a shock to some, that total strangers are ready, willing and able to do the same to them.

No thanks, Uniforms lost any appeal after Sea Cadets,as did mindless obedience to persons who's only superiority was more stripes on their uniform.

Father was a Merchant Seaman (teenager) in WW1, where he lost his sight.- perhaps that coloured my view?
If the average civvy could go down to the jetty at Faslane to witness the clapped out submarine crew coming ashore after a 13 week “sneaky” patrol and you mentioned to them that they relish the chance to obliterate others, the reaction would be immediate. Nothing could be further from his mind.
They store up, do some essential maintenance that they can’t do at sea, and its away for another 13 weeker. He may not get home during that period in harbour. They do the job to keep the peace.
kanga, gaznav, Stu B liked this
By Bill McCarthy
In the past the skies up here were very busy with weekly visits to the live bombing range at Cape Wrath. They come in via a “corridor” on the coast south of me and straight over the house, low level and wonderful to witness. I hadn’t seen nor heard anything for months, until yesterday, when they were thrashing around again - quite reassuring actually, that we have young lads still giving it a bit of stick.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Although I have been mischievous about pilotless aircraft I do sometimes ask myself about attitudes. Is there a more immediate human contact from a combat pilot in the air than from someone sitting in a shed with joystick and a bank of screens? Does that influence attitudes to the "enemy"?

Cruise missiles are pretty accurate and destructive and launched from a (relatively) safe distance it would be interesting to know if any research has been done.....
By gaznav
johnm wrote:Although I have been mischievous about pilotless aircraft I do sometimes ask myself about attitudes. Is there a more immediate human contact from a combat pilot in the air than from someone sitting in a shed with joystick and a bank of screens? Does that influence attitudes to the "enemy"?

Cruise missiles are pretty accurate and destructive and launched from a (relatively) safe distance it would be interesting to know if any research has been done.....

AMRAAM, ASRAAM, Brimstone, Storm Shadow, etc...etc... is all launched from a (relatively) safe distance, just like a sniper or gunner with an artillery piece. The whole point is to defend/attack without being killed yourself - that is warfare 101. :thumright: