Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Selev
Hi all,

New Lad here for the first time, i'm Just looking for a wee bit of advice and best practice from your point of view.
I intend to pop into Wickenby in the near future.

I'm coming all the way from Easy Angular and across the Wash, having read Wickenby's website i see i have to speak to Waddington to get in which is fine, but would i need to speak to Coningsby as well?

I dont intend going through their MATZ, in fact i'll probably go up the coast and have a look around, it seems to be a bit of a faff asking them for a basic and then a short time later changing to Waddington as well.

I would think Marham will see me across the wash, but from there?

I have searched on these forums and looked for any relevant videos, but there is nothing that gives me the "mechanics" of it.

I am recently qualified and a bit unsure.
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Two of us flew there in the Colt from Old Buckenham at the beginning of June. It’s pretty straightforward but also depends on whether you’re intending to fly midweek or on a weekend. If the latter, you’re unlikely to get any reply from Marham (make blind calls on their frequency in case they have gliders airborne), Waddington or Coningsby. Personally, I’d give Coningsby a call if you’re going during the week, simply to let them know you’re about and in case they have any fast jet traffic you might like to be aware of.

Also, if you’re routing over The Wash midweek, watch out for the Danger Zone and also whenever you fly, make sure you avoid the restricted areas around the Royal estate at Sandringham and Anmer Hall (clearly marked on maps and Sky Demon) in North Norfolk.

We flew on a Saturday and listened in to Coningsby while avoiding their zone, just in case the BBMF were active, which they were. Wickenby is an AGCS facility so while they’re extremely pleasant, don’t expect to receive much more than the runway in use and possibly a surface wind check.

Hope that helps and enjoy the trip!

Ian
By BirdsEyeView
Speak to Conningsby on 119.200 and ask for a basic service. Check out the chart for the approach into Wickenby - approach not above 1500 ft. It's on the 1/2 mill chart. Don't need to speak to Waddington at all. Do the reverse on departure.

By chevvron
Highland Park wrote:We flew on a Saturday and listened in to Coningsby while avoiding their zone, just in case the BBMF were active, which they were. Wickenby is an AGCS facility so while they’re extremely pleasant, don’t expect to receive much more than the runway in use and possibly a surface wind check.

Ian

Better to call Coningsby rather than just listen fo BBMF; they have these things called Typhoons at Coningsby and 2 are standing by on QRA 24/7, so they could launch any time there's no knowing what direction and they're always in a hurry; recently they'd laid sonic 'booms' over the Midlands and East London.
By Highland Park
chevvron wrote:
Highland Park wrote:We flew on a Saturday and listened in to Coningsby while avoiding their zone, just in case the BBMF were active, which they were. Wickenby is an AGCS facility so while they’re extremely pleasant, don’t expect to receive much more than the runway in use and possibly a surface wind check.

Ian

Better to call Coningsby rather than just listen fo BBMF; they have these things called Typhoons at Coningsby and 2 are standing by on QRA 24/7, so they could launch any time there's no knowing what direction and they're always in a hurry; recently they'd laid sonic 'booms' over the Midlands and East London.

Good call. Rather embarrassingly I’d forgotten about the QRA. My bad. :oops:

Ian
By G-JWTP
Better call, is to ak Conningsby for a traffic service ( in their hours of watch), the'll then keep you informed of all the other stuff that's about.

G-JWTP
By BirdsEyeView
G-JWTP wrote:Better call, is to ak Conningsby for a traffic service ( in their hours of watch), the'll then keep you informed of all the other stuff that's about.

G-JWTP

I do Coningsby frequently up to Humberside and the north. The OP says he will be going up through the East coastal side to Wickenby.

Asking for a traffic service when a MATZ is handling their own traffic is not the 'better' call out over to the East; unless for some reason you are transiting their overhead. Why on earth would you want to do this? Coningsby will often tell you if they are 'recovering' aircraft or there is likely to be traffic in their approach circuit. But you will likely be at 3,200ft + amsl and they at 1,000ft aal. If that's the case, you will have a lovely view seeing the 29 Squadron (XXX) typhoons below you...

Coningsby is very likely not going to give you a traffic service. They will tell you about all the stuff around if a conflict is likely on a basic service - it's what they do at Coningsby. They are a great LARS. Ask for a traffic service by all means, but expect to be given a basic.

:)
By Selev
Thank you for all your replies, it makes sense now, i was probably thinking too much into it, lots of good tips and a very good heads up on the QRA.

Also, thank you for the video BirdsEyeView, you've sussed me out, i'm a picture paints a thousand words type, don't know how i missed that on the search :thumright:
By Highland Park
Selev wrote:I'm at Old Buckenham, so it's a short hop for me i suppose, it'll be the first time i've flown over an expanse of water ... albeit 10nm or so ...

All the best people are... :thumright:

Ian
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Talking Old Buckenham Ian, apparently Hotel Hotel is a bit broken

Rob P
Another OB person
By kanga
chevvron wrote:..
Better to call Coningsby rather than just listen fo BBMF; they have these things called Typhoons at Coningsby and 2 are standing by on QRA 24/7, so they could launch any time ...

.. as, in theory, could a RIVET JOINT from Waddington .. :wink: