Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

A massive massive vote of thanks to everyone at The Pilot Centre, Denham Aerodrome in patiently putting up with my poor jokes (see below) and general incompetence, yet somehow making me good enough to pass my PPL last week. Ben, my main instructor comes in for particular praise as his patience was stretched furthest, but also Rickybobby, Ravel, Celine, Pete, Max, and finally, but definitely not leastily, Eva. Wow to all of you. Further shout-outs to Joey-lad at the South Coast Flying Club (Shoreham) and Russ, my flight sim instructor (ex-Sibson).

Now it's time for me to work out how to land the PA28 three times without taking off, as my log book suggests either my maths aren't too good, or I'm still flying. Ideas on a postcard please.
Morten, derekf, MachFlyer and 1 others liked this
By Chris_N
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Qualifying Cross Country this morning 7 years 10 months after starting to learn to fly:
Tatenhill - (Halfpenny Greenb)- Gloucester. - (Wellesbourne- Draycote Water ) Leicester - (Nuneaton VRP) - Tatenhill

(Also due to length of time had to resist all theory exams for 3rd time - was still finding new things to learn while revising).
MachFlyer, Morten liked this
By MachFlyer
Very happy to announce that today I passed my LAPL skills test :D

When I went for a trial flight back in October I didn't think for one minute I would end up here. I cannot tell you how happy I was when he advised me I had passed :D

Not going to lie I have struggled at times with both the flying & the study but I have loved every minute of it and I don't mind admitting to feeling a bit proud of myself :)
jaycee58, Morten, WelshRichy and 1 others liked this
270 km solo cross country completed (LSZN-LSZG-LSGY-LSZN).
Flew it with my instructor the day before. The actual solo went pretty much excactly as planned, had to wait for some people dropping from the sky on the approach to LSGY. Did an orbit and watched them land.
On the last taxi to parking an impressive specimen of Tabanus sudeticus (horsefly) joined me in the cockpit. While being rather harmless, it still would have been a distraction had it chosen to join me earlier.
Definitely feels like an achievment that I can actually go somewhere, not get lost, get safely back and not break any equipment in the process. :D
MachFlyer, jaycee58, Morten liked this
By Morten
Good work indeed. Cram the last 3 into a sitting as well and Bob will be your uncle.

Would be great if the CAA would recognise students who use fewer than the available number of sittings by eg proceeding their actual license issue faster. Or cheaper. Or both...
AKr, clarkeysntfc liked this
By WelshRichy
Within the last hour I have received email notifications of my last batch EASA CPL(A) exams... well I'm so over the moon as these results confirm I have passed the full set of thirteen exams. All first time (more luck than anything!). Not the best average of 86.5% but not bad for the old brain cells. I thought I had completely failed Meteorology and Flight Planning yesterday but came out with 81% and 94% respectively.
jaycee58, cockney steve, MachFlyer and 3 others liked this
WelshRichy wrote:Within the last hour I have received email notifications of my last batch EASA CPL(A) exams... well I'm so over the moon as these results confirm I have passed the full set of thirteen exams. All first time (more luck than anything!). Not the best average of 86.5% but not bad for the old brain cells. I thought I had completely failed Meteorology and Flight Planning yesterday but came out with 81% and 94% respectively.

Fantastic! Well done. My old brain cells averaged 85%.
WelshRichy liked this