Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By matthew_w100
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I spent a lot of time at the LAA rally on Friday trying on CEHT headsets and have pretty much convinced myself that when I upgrade from my present HM40s that is what I will have. Covering pretty much every point that either DC or Bose do, looking happily robust, working very well, and much cheaper.

G

Have you a link for CEHT headsets? Google just tells me I should have typed SEHT.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’m glad you asked that. I googled them and it came up with nothing, and I’m still none the wiser.
By A le Ron
I have owned about 5 headsets so far. The best by far (comfort, sound quality) are my lightspeed zulus. The DCs come a close second. I've never been rich enough to squander my hard-earned cash on Bose.
By Paul_Sengupta
TheFarmer wrote:I’m glad you asked that. I googled them and it came up with nothing, and I’m still none the wiser.

These are about on par with the converted DCs.

https://www.seht.co.uk/product/sh30-75-active-noise-reduction-headset

Review here:
https://www.flyer.co.uk/seht-sh30-75-anr-headset/

There are others in their ANR range but I wouldn't go for the -60s.

https://www.seht.co.uk/anr
By Maxthelion
I've done about fifteen years on my self-converted using the ANRman kit DCs, and they've been great. If I ever bought expensive gear then I think it would be the Zulus that I'd go for, but currently the ANRman stuff is still easily good enough. I use a leather flying helmet/gimp hat to stop it from coming off during aeros.
By Rob P
For the first time ever last week my Zulus and I parted company at the apex of a loop. I am self-critical enough without my headset joining in.

Rob P
riverrock, Maxthelion liked this
By VFR_UK
Waveflyer wrote:I wonder if there are many Bose users that would change for anything else?

Having had faults with my Bose-X and experienced Bose customer services - I would never buy Bose again. They don’t support their products long-term, they just expect you to pay for the latest model, perhaps at a slight discount.

I’ve not tried many brands (had DC before because that’s what my instructor had), but Lightspeed comes up again and again as great customer service so I’d start there. I even defected from Bose to Sony for general noise-cancelling music/travel headphones - they are better than Bose in most ways (only worse in comfort).

***Yikes, apologies, no idea what happened there! A bit of iPad trouble on editing ***
By teccie
Just adding my five pence worth.
Had been flying with Peltors for quite a few years and had just accepted that my hearing was deteriorating a bit as I was struggling to hear some radio calls. Decided to buy a secondhand Lightspeed Sierra. I was amazed at how good it was. Then a Lightspeed Zulu two came up on EBay and this was even better. Input on the radio was so much clearer and the engine was the best I have ever heard it !!, Flying had just got so much better.
I had tried a Bose and was not so impressed. The Zulus are great. I even managed to get a Zulu one on EBay to pair with the Zulu two and that is a great headset too.
Not too many Zulus come up on EBay in the U.K. but for just over £500 got the two, so well pleased.
By Rob P
Wide-Body wrote:What PETE said.

Robust and good ANR

My converted headset is now the one the passenger uses.

I'd not even contemplate a set that doesn't have Bluetooth since the PAw / SkyDemon intelligent traffic launch.

Rob P
By Lefty
I have owned and / used DC's, Pilot, Bose, Lightspeed and Clarity Aloft noise cancelling headsets (ANR).

Clarity Aloft had the best noise reduction - however I found them extremely fiddly to get into my ear - nd would sometimes spend 4-5 very frustrating minutes trying to get them into my ear - before each flight. When I started instructing and started doing 4-6 flights per day - this just became unacceptable. Clearly some people have larger ear canals - and they work great.

Lightspeed and Bose Noise reduction is very similar. The light speed have much bigger ear cups and therefore fit better on people with bigger ears. You ned to try before you buy. As the light speed is approx 30% bigger than the Bose - the Lightspeed carry bag is also 30% bigger. It is also a circular shape - which makes it useless for carrying anything other than the headset - so you have to have a flight bag plus your headset bag. (Again more of an issue when doing lots of flights).
The Bose carry bag is not as good a headset bag - but it does have a very useful external pocket which carries my chart, checklist, circuit diagram chart and a couple of ruler / plotters and a couple of pens. In the inside, there is enough space (just about) to fit my spare specs, spare batteries and my company tie (yes I am supposed to have it round my neck, but .... ). Thus for 95% of my flying - all I have to pick up is the one headset bag and I have everything I need. I only ever need a second bag when I'm going cross channel or an overnighter - when I want to carry my PLB, iPad charger etc).

DC's - big and heavy and clamp very tightly round my head - gives me a headache - especially as I wear specs. DC's are not comfortable for long periods if you have to wear specs or sunglasses.

Re the squelch question, o most aircraft you have 3 or even 4 squelch controls that you might need to adjust.

Squelch no.1 - on each radio - the squelch controls the minimum level of incoming signal that the radio will pass on to you via your headset.

Squelch no.2 - your intercom also has a microphone quelch that controls the minimum level of speech received through the microphone - that will be accepted and passed to the other occupants - and to the radio when you PTT

Squelch no 3 &4 - on many Audio panels you can select the microphone squelch for each occupant. For example the Garmin A340, the P1 microphone squelch is controlled by the outer ring of the top left rotary knob. (The inner knob controls the P1 audi0 volume. The rotary on the top right - controls the P2 and pax microphone squelch volumes - and (not a lot of people know this) but you can pull the central knob outwards - and it controls the rear pax volumes - separately form the P2.

I meet students who don't realise that they have these many controls. You have volume control on the radio - which goes into the intercom, then a volume control on the intercom - then a third volume control on your headset. You need to get the all balanced correctly for you.

Hope this helps
T67M liked this
By JAFO
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I spent a lot of time at the LAA rally on Friday trying on CEHT headsets

Genghis the Engineer wrote:That website says "see us at Skywell"

I've spent a whole week wandering around Skywell and I can't find the CEHT stand anywhere. Think I might just get the ANR conversion for my DCs. Anyone know roughly how much the ANRman charges?
By Sir Morley Steven
Trent772 wrote:Bose is an Indian designed - very average and over priced headset.

They have all sorts of compatibility issues with other headsets and are not too robust.

This is from a commercial aspect as the Boing Boys were issued with them 'cos their flight deck was really noisy. The vastly superior A330 flight deck is almost silent, so we do not need any ANR really.

That said.

I acquired a pair of DC Pro X's for our Rv - all was good until I stunted and they fell off..... Doh.

Traded for One X and have been very happy since...... I heard that... P..p.pardon :mrgreen:

Couldn’t agree less. I bought my A 20s when they came out, gotta be over ten years ago. Initially I had cable issues which were covered under the guarantee. This week I sent them for refurbishment after 3,000 hours of flying. I have never had compatibility issues and I hate it when I have to use a non Bose set.