Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Bathman
I brought some lithium ion 9 volt PP3 rechargable batteries (two) and charger off eBay for about 10 quid.

These batteries last a lot longer than any other PP3 batteries I have tried.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
manfieldmann wrote:Squelch was set correctly but the take off racket overcame it leading to a very noisy spell until the power was backed off.

Surely, almost by definition, if the engine noise overcame the squelch, then the squelch was NOT set correctly? Or am I missing a subtlety?
rdfb liked this
By PeteSpencer
mick w wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:Thanks all.

After much deliberation I decided to buy two sets of DC’s and am having them converted by ANR man.

£2,000 for Bose headsets made me wince, so I’ve gone for the alternative option. 8)

You will need these , they do tend to eat them ,but cheap enough . :thumright:

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/indust ... box-of-50/

My experience with rechargeables for essential flying stuff (Icom. DCs) is that whenever I decide on a spur of the moment flight I find the batteries are flat .So I use disposables though these (above) seem to have a shorter life than some

Peter
By RichJordan
T67M wrote:
manfieldmann wrote:Squelch was set correctly but the take off racket overcame it leading to a very noisy spell until the power was backed off.

Surely, almost by definition, if the engine noise overcame the squelch, then the squelch was NOT set correctly? Or am I missing a subtlety?

Hmm. My understanding is that VOX is the setting that was wrong here rather than squelch.

Squelch is the setting for filtering incoming (received) transmissions based on strength.

VOX is the filtering of noise from the headset mic based on volume, which is what you'd get during takeoff.

Happy (and expecting) to be corrected.
By riverrock
Squelch is just stopping audio reception when there is no real signal. VOX (voice operated switch) auto transmits when there is a signal (so transmits to others every time you speak).
Wouldn't surprise me if some intercom squelch is labled VOX though.
By riverrock
On squelch, remember different microphones have different sensitivity (which can be adjusted). I have to turn up squelch each time I go into the share-o-plane as my Zulu 2s have a more sensitive mic than some others.
By hatzflyer
Without doubt " Clarity Aloft " are the most comfortable but they don't suit everybody . They are ultra light and allow you to wear a hat. Because they use ear buds they don't make your ears sweat under huge clamping lumps of plastic that make your head feel like it's in a vice. You can wear them on long trips. The only downside is that they are rather delicate. I've had mine for several years and they have been brilliant. Tim was unlucky enough to brake his but he had a good experience with getting them repaired and returned from the USA without any hassle.

I recently flew in a Bulldog with Bose and I much prefer my clarity aloft . I would say 20 times more comefortable and defenently clearer.
I have used them in some seriously loud aircraft .
T67M liked this
By Rob P
@hatzflyer

Happy birthday Hatz!

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
Waveflyer wrote:I wonder if there are many Bose users that would change for anything else?

Well, I am a man of larger ear. I figured some while back that the Lightspeed Zulu had larger earcups and would likely be more comfortable for me. However on obtaining the Bose X some time back, I found them to be ok, and then the A20 was better in terms of ear room. I bought a pair of A20s. Now, they're normally great, but on longer flights, my ears do tend to start hurting a bit - flying about 4.5 hours on Friday for instance. So I might just see if I can obtain a pair of Lightspeeds (maybe pick up a second hand pair off e-bay!) to see if they're better in terms of comfort. However I very rarely do flights of that length anyway, so I probably won't bother.
By Cessna571
hatzflyer wrote:Without doubt " Clarity Aloft " are the most comfortable but they don't suit everybody . They are ultra light and allow you to wear a hat. Because they use ear buds they don't make your ears sweat under huge clamping lumps of plastic that make your head feel like it's in a vice. You can wear them on long trips. The only downside is that they are rather delicate. I've had mine for several years and they have been brilliant. Tim was unlucky enough to brake his but he had a good experience with getting them repaired and returned from the USA without any hassle.

I recently flew in a Bulldog with Bose and I much prefer my clarity aloft . I would say 20 times more comefortable and defenently clearer.
I have used them in some seriously loud aircraft .

My only worry with clarity aloft is hearing damage.

When shooting you have to use ear defenders, not ear plugs, because the sound enters the ear canal from behind the ear, not down the hole, and damages the ear.

It’s why you can’t use ear plugs with loud machinery and must use ear defenders. The sound doesn’t have to enter vat a the hole to damage your hearing.

I have a feeling the engine up front in our PA28 isn’t quite loud enough to do that damage, but I’m not 100% sure.

Maybe I should properly go and find out what the numbers are for ear plugs vs ear defenders.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Miscellaneous
That's an interesting point @Cessna571. I have always thought the Clarity Aloft ticks all the boxes but never could bring myself to pay that much for that little. :? Being ripped off for a Bose at least gives the feeling of getting more for the money. :lol:

I'll go with your theory and feel even better about deciding not to buy the Clarity.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By riverrock
Cessna571 wrote:Maybe I should properly go and find out what the numbers are for ear plugs vs ear defenders.

Yes - you should.
They make ear plugs specially for shooting.
https://eardefender.co.uk/best-ear-plugs-for-shooting/

Last time I was in a loud industrial building (a power station) they provided ear plugs for all us visitors.

They do have to fit properly, but they can be very effective at noise reduction, especially if you wear glasses, when some defenders / muffs don't seal properly around the glasses (my Zulu 2s are OK).

I get sore ears after wearing anything in my ear for more than about an hour - so ear plugs aren't for me. You are more prone to ear infections (so need to be very careful about keeping fitted ear pieces clean and they can't be shared). They need cleaned to maintain effectiveness (wax will break the seal and any absorbed oils will effect the product).

For me - over hear headsets provide much better long term comfort, but everyone is different.
By Cessna571
@riverrock

I was advised not to wear earplugs for shooting and even the link you provide says people have different views and even says for full protection you want to wear defenders over plugs!

Our engines are not as loud as a gunshot I believe and as I said before, I’d go and research it properly if I was considering clarity aloft.
By Trent772
Bose is an Indian designed - very average and over priced headset.

They have all sorts of compatibility issues with other headsets and are not too robust.

This is from a commercial aspect as the Boing Boys were issued with them 'cos their flight deck was really noisy. The vastly superior A330 flight deck is almost silent, so we do not need any ANR really.

That said.

I acquired a pair of DC Pro X's for our Rv - all was good until I stunted and they fell off..... Doh.

Traded for One X and have been very happy since...... I heard that... P..p.pardon :mrgreen: