Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Oldfart
It's not just airfield closure as a problem. Even some active sites don't help.
Rang Yeovil (Westlands) for PPR to visit friends over from Oz. as promulgated in Pooleys.
Very busy airport, must be at least one or two helicopter movements an hour on a good day, and a nice long grass runway.
Curtly told "We don't accept light aircraft and no fixed wing"
Ah well, Compton Abbas is nicer anyway!!
TractorBoy liked this
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lack of GA airfields

Huh? What do you mean by a "GA airfield"?
There are plenty of aerodromes all over the country?

I agree there are some dead spots. It gets a lot worse when IFR and night operations are considered.
By Genghis the Engineer
We have no shortage of airfields, notwithstanding our very understandable annoyance when one or two of the best ones come under threat.

There are also however private airfields - somebody's private property, or a company airport such as Leonardo's at Yeovil, or BAE's at Barrow that the owners just don't want visitors. That's never going to change - every other country has airports on the chart which you can't use either.

There may be a point in contacting airfields, maybe the company flying club, and seeing if you can persuade somebody to accept you. But acting entitled will never do any good.

G
By TopCat
James Chan wrote:
Lack of GA airfields

Huh? What do you mean by a "GA airfield"?
There are plenty of aerodromes all over the country?

If what you want is to pick somewhere to fly for fun, and you don't want to do anything other than fly there and back, then I'd agree.

If you want to go somewhere for some purpose other than the actual flying, not requiring a long expensive taxi ride at the other end, that also doesn't involve expensive mandatory 'handling', then I wouldn't.
By joe-fbs
Yeovil is very much Leonardo private property. We have business on the site there next month and are still flying to Yeovilton. The AIP does also say that the Yeovil runways are not serviceable for aeroplanes.
By TheFarmer
If you want to go somewhere for some purpose other than the actual flying, not requiring a long expensive taxi ride at the other end, that also doesn't involve expensive mandatory 'handling', then I wouldn't.

Which is why the FFA works so well.

A growing number of countrywide airstrips and often a vehicle at the other end to borrow (at no cost) upon arrival.
By Pilot Pete
TheFarmer wrote:

A growing number of countrywide airstrips and often a vehicle at the other end to borrow (at no cost) upon arrival.

Phoned a chap with a strip near Manchester earlier this year. Actually very close to the town I needed to get to.
I asked about which Taxi firm to call.
He said not round this way sonny........
I won't be here in the morning but I'll leave the keys in me truck, if you go far, chuck a little diesel in it for me chap.

:D :D
Wx ruined the trip and I drove 5 hrs each way. But it's actually the second time I've been so massively accommodated.
Lockhaven, Dave W, AshleyFlynn23 and 4 others liked this
By TheFarmer
See.

Us farmers aren’t all that bad.

I’ll happily provide a car and hangarage to a visitor FOC to 99% of the people I know who fly.
Ben K liked this
By Chris Martyr
TheFarmer wrote:I’ll happily provide a car and hangarage to a visitor FOC to 99% of the people I know who fly.

.................it's the remaining 1% that TF doesn't approve of whose shoes I wouldn't like to be in .. :D
By Flyingfemme
Farmers, microlighters, gliders...........plenty of friends we haven't yet met. I have visited, and been offered hospitality by, many aviation personnel all over the world. Sometimes it is an unattended (convenient) place to land, all the way up to a night in a palazzo. We all love flying machines and love to talk about our passion with those that share it. Very seldom do you find a miserable g** who isn't generous or hospitable. The world is a wonderful place.
Dave W, Chris Martyr, ChampChump and 3 others liked this
By Kittyhawk
TheFarmer wrote:

But don't you need to be a farmer or landowner to join and so access the directory of strips?
By Waveflyer
Kittyhawk wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:

But don't you need to be a farmer or landowner to join and so access the directory of strips?

No, just project yourself as a considerate enthusiast with no expectation of of a positive outcome.

I do find it a bit tiresome that people expect to be allowed to visit private property without an invitation. Not directed at you Kittyhawk :D
By Dave W
Oh; I'd thought as @Kittyhawk did because the FFA membership page says:
Firstly, to qualify for membership, you have to be either a farmer or airstrip owner. Those closely associated with farming like vets and land agents will also be considered for membership.

I did wonder if vets' sons might qualify. ;)
By Wildcat One
A few weeks ago, somebody on here wanted to go somewhere near me. I PM'd them and offered them landing at my strip. Their destnation is 7 miles away, There are no taxis - either their rellies could collect or I'd drop him off.