For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Boing_737
PaulB wrote:
PaulB wrote:So no, Facetwit isn’t listening.

It is, however watching what you are doing very closely indeed, as is Google. This happens whether or not you have a FaceTwit or Google account.

And the methods used are by far and away cheaper than recording speech, transcoding it to text. All that's needed is a tracking pixel, with an associated URL tagged.

Use a browser like Firefox with built in tracker blocking etc. then see how ads change.
By PaulB
Nomad63 wrote:Ahem...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2019/04/12/amazon-staff-are-listening-to-alexa-conversations-heres-what-to-do/#8858eed71a22

Different thing entirely...... The question is, does Alexa listen to everything or just stuff after the keyword is used.
By PaulB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I don't drink it, haven't searched for it, and not had an advert for it before.

So.... is it-

A. Coincidence
B. That you are likely to drink wine and have been accurately profiled
C. Only noticed the ad *because* the wine was fresh in your memory
D. FaceTwit is in cahoots with the hard ware manufacturers to gain access to your microphone and analyse everything that is said in a busy restaurant?

Surely A-C are far more likely than D?
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
or facebook knew that you were meeting or interacting with your cousin who talks about their collection a lot. Facebook may know your location and their location and your common connection.
By eltonioni
riverrock wrote:or facebook knew that you were meeting or interacting with your cousin who talks about their collection a lot. Facebook may know your location and their location and your common connection.

^^^ This.
https://gizmodo.com/facebook-is-giving- ... 1828476051
By PaulB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I would possibly put these episodes down to coincidence if they weren't so very very specific.

So it’s profiling then......
By eltonioni
The new phone book just came through the door and as I idly wondered if my father had gone ex-directory I opened it at the exact page with my thumb by his name, address and number. :shock:

Never mind Zuckerberg, BT is the all seeing eye and I'm looking for the brain implant scar.
PaulB, kanga liked this
By PaulB
Surely there's a 50% chance of that happening now, given the size of BT phone books?

Crossed with SteveLup!
eltonioni liked this