For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
When you order groceries on line, you either get them from a local shop or from a super-tech warehouse (Ocado & Morrison’s) and it then gets delivered (within a one hour time slot) maybe a day later in a temperature controlled van meaning that the cool stuff is cool and the frozen stuff is frozen.

Amazon now offer Prime deliveries which seem to be picked off the shelves of the local Morrison’s and delivered by a bloke in a Nissan Micra. They aim to deliver within 1-2 hours.

Is the super fast delivery such a great advance?
By PaulB
Joking aside, it does seem like one of these situations where making something faster or quicker does not necessarily make it better.

I'm reminded of Rory Sutherland's TED talk

https://www.ted.com/talks/rory_sutherla ... anguage=en

(the part I'm reminded of is in the first 2-3 minutes)
eltonioni liked this
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Before I mis-spent my youth, groceries came from a weekly van. A long interval of going to the supermarket and it’s back. Progress - now I curse a website for an hour before the shop comes to the door.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Bill Haddow
Two things I think will happen:

1. Local shops will be no more.

2. Remoaners will blame their demise on Brexit, and Brexiteers will blame it on Remoaners spending 3 years in a failed attempt to frustrate the will of the people.

Bill H
By Colonel Panic
Failing to see why an option for 1-2 hour delivery is not progress? Who says one needs to order perishable goods through it?

Always happy to buy most of my clothes online from M&S but prefer other routes to purchase when selecting my intimate apparel (aka string vests & boxer shorts :oops: ).
By PaulB
Colonel Panic wrote:Failing to see why an option for 1-2 hour delivery is not progress? Who says one needs to order perishable goods through it?

You don't (and I wouldn't) - that said, they do use cool bags the same as I use when I go shopping. *That* said, i then control the journey home to ensure that the frozen stuff is still as frozen as possible.

I prefer to use online *for* the frozen and bulky stuff and go to the shop for stuff I like to choose like fruit & veg, meat, cheese etc. (but then I'm relatively time rich).