Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mmcp42
Each time I’ve been (with a slot) I’ve followed the procedure but not seen anyone else at pitsford or all the way down to the runway
I've booked a FRiday morning slot with the group aircraft, and another group member will fly it in again on Friday evening. Nothing wrong with that but a sensible analysis is needed to realise that it's not a duplicate.
By r_w_walker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I appreciate there are valid reasons for some double and triple bookings.
If you have booked a slot each day as insurance so that you can visit once, please release the unused slots as soon as possible.
By Dominie
Dominie wrote:I've booked a Friday morning slot with the group aircraft, and another group member will fly it in again on Friday evening. Nothing wrong with that but a sensible analysis is needed to realise that it's not a duplicate.

In fact, I haven't got that slot anymore. Someone has deleted my slot and so Friday am is all booked up as I certainly can't get there at 8.15.

Would anyone at Sywell like to suggest why this has happened? Who has that authority? And to not even tell me - If I hadn't checked I would have just turned up at my appointed time.

ABSOLUTELY B****Y FURIOUS!!!!
By r_w_walker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dominie, did you book very early and miss this in the other rally thread?

"Finally, we have run into a glitch over the bookings that were made early in the year when the slot bookings were opened inadvertently. To be fair to those who booked, we asked Sywell to save the bookings and intended having the slot booking site reopened on August 1 with them still in situ. However, the CAA's subsequent insistence that everybody that books a slot must first read the joining instructions and then tick a box acknowledging they have done so, before they are able to actually book the slot, means that the early bookings do not comply. Sywell has agreed to email those who booked early, letting them know they have to rebook, and the plan is to open the website for a short spell to allow them to do so before the site is available to all."
No, I read the AIC and ticked the box at 1500 on 30 July. Presumably I wasn't meant to book that day, but how can someone delete my booking and not even tell me?

I have a perfectly valid email that says "This email is to confirm your fly-in slot booking: Booking reference: 47283105" with all my details. I could easily have simply turned up and landed without knowing that they have rescinded my permission.
By VFR_UK
James Chan wrote:They have ATC though?

65 controllers and 16 teams of 4 people in each:

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... ic-control

:thumright:

That’s amazing to read. Totally different attitude in the US. Maybe Sywell could get some extra staff in the tower?

I read the notes years ago and decided against it - not exactly encouraging for anyone who’s not attempted such a thing previously, is it
VFR_UK wrote:
James Chan wrote:They have ATC though?

65 controllers and 16 teams of 4 people in each:

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... ic-control

:thumright:

That’s amazing to read. Totally different attitude in the US. Maybe Sywell could get some extra staff in the tower?

I read the notes years ago and decided against it - not exactly encouraging for anyone who’s not attempted such a thing previously, is it

there are some more stats here for 2018

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/7-30-2018--eaa-airventure-oshkosh-2018-facts-and-figures

averaging 134 movements per hour is pretty good going! What are the slot spacings at Sywell?
patowalker wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:it does say "averaging"..

With four controllers on at a time, which is not the case at Sywell.

does it matter? I don't think anybody was actually criticising the Sywell team, just offering a comparison and asking for slot spacing. Oshkosh also have multiple teams, do Sywell? I wouldn't envy someone who was sat at Sywell for an 8 hr stint, alone with just a coffee machine for company! :D