Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:Royal Dornoch and walk to the clubhouse. Too far north ?

The strip is like a billiard table. I swear that they maintain it as the 19th hole :D.

Iceman 8)
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Is there an airfield anywhere which doesn't have a golf course within spitting distance? The golf course was even the VRP for Elstree!

Elstree must have more than one golf course nearby as the FISO pointed out that I had reported over the wrong golf course :roll:.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Possibilities for your week long Scotland tour;

Strathallan for Gleneagles?

Kingsmuir for St Andrews?

Or if you are not so interested in posh golf and location appeals there's Glenforsa for a choice of Tobermory and Craignure (9 holes) and why not pop across to Iona for a unique round of golf.

Iceman wrote:The strip is like a billiard table. I swear that they maintain it as the 19th hole :D.

You may find the Golf Club do in fact have an agreement with Highland Council to maintain the runway at Dornoch. :wink:
Iceman, derekf liked this
By derekf
Miscellaneous wrote:Possibilities for your week long Scotland tour;

Strathallan for Gleneagles?

Kingsmuir for St Andrews?

Or if you are not so interested in posh golf and location appeals there's Glenforsa for a choice of Tobermory and Craignure (9 holes) and why not pop across to Iona for a unique round of golf.

Iceman wrote:The strip is like a billiard table. I swear that they maintain it as the 19th hole :D.

You may find the Golf Club do in fact have an agreement with Highland Council to maintain the runway at Dornoch. :wink:

We flew into Dornoch last year, but went to stay at the Carnegie Club Skibo Castle with my brother. Amazing place!

Buggy came round when we were playing offering bacon rolls, coffee and hot chocolate with baileys (guess what Mrs derekf had). When we finished on the 18th a waiter in a kilt came out with a tray of shots of whiskey for us.

Once in a lifetime long weekend experience :thumleft:
derekf wrote:We flew into Dornoch last year, but went to stay at the Carnegie Club Skibo Castle with my brother. Amazing place!

Did they not have transport at Dornoch awaiting your arrival? They usually do. It can be quite entertaining seeing the entourage.

You've reminded me of my (poor) landing on 28 and slightly overshooting the turn off. Embarrassing in a Jodel DR1050, especially when the Skibo guests carrying PC12 made it and parked up alongside me before I got out. :oops:
Iceman liked this
By derekf
Miscellaneous wrote:
derekf wrote:We flew into Dornoch last year, but went to stay at the Carnegie Club Skibo Castle with my brother. Amazing place!

Did they not have transport at Dornoch awaiting your arrival? They usually do. It can be quite entertaining seeing the entourage.

You've reminded me of my (poor) landing on 28 and slightly overshooting the turn off. Embarrassing in a Jodel DR1050, especially when the Skibo guests carrying PC12 made it and parked up alongside me before I got out. :oops:

They did indeed have the transport waiting.

Not sure they were expecting a Cherokee Six to turn up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Iceman, Miscellaneous liked this
derekf wrote:Not sure they were expecting a Cherokee Six to turn up :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet the staff are still talking about that yet! :lol:

derekf wrote:I'd be up for a golf fly-in somewhere :D

Now that could make for a very interesting fly-in…for non golfers. :shock:
Iceman, derekf liked this
By Miscellaneous
Iceman wrote:...I turned up at a posh Monaco hotel in a Fiat 500...

Cheapskate! :wink:

I'm having recollections of suggesting Skibo as an option for a visit to Dornoch a few years back. Did you ever stay there?