Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I still can't understand why the title of this thread says "for the rest of summer" when the NOTAM clearly says "until 23 Aug" and in fact the period started on 5 Aug. That's not long, really. It also assumes that we are actually having a summer... (sheltering from rain and high winds today!).
In the past I have seen evidence of gps 'jamming' on D208 as mentioned by Peter above.

It took the form of vertical rather than horizontal displacement

I'm guessing that if you can spoof an inbound munition into thinking its 400ft higher than it actually is, it will assuredly bump into something unimportant long before it reaches its intended target.

Rob P
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GNSS is very easy to jam as the signal levels are so low, so this is not the real intent of trials like these. These GNSS jamming trials are all about testing anti-jamming technologies, obviously of particular interest to the military, but also of interest to future civil users interested in ensuring that their GNSS systems are resilient to jamming, either intentional or unintentional.

Iceman 8)
A le Ron, neilmurg, TheFarmer and 1 others liked this
Iceman wrote:GNSS is very easy to jam as the signal levels are so low, so this is not the real intent of trials like these. These GNSS jamming trials are all about testing anti-jamming technologies, obviously of particular interest to the military, but also of interest to future civil users interested in ensuring that their GNSS systems are resilient to jamming, either intentional or unintentional.

Iceman 8)

(Scales fall from eyes)
steviem wrote:So having booked a couple of weeks off work, and planned several trips , this pops up in my sky demon notams today :evil: :evil:

GNSS signal jamming trial. GND jammers located within 3NM radius position 520053N 0033831W (Sennybridge, Powys). Activity may affect aircraft within 122NM radius of site. Emergency cease jam contact 01874 635599 or 01980 957597. During trial GNSS REC may suffer intermittent/total failure, or give incorrect position info. ...

Anyone had a GPS give incorrect information potentially related to this notam?

I was not much beyond the outer range limit of that notam and had panel mount moving map gps give incorrect position by approx 4 miles. DTK was also way off by approx 100 degrees.
Easy to see it was wrong in cavok with very distinctive ground features.

Just sayin.
Yes. In the work machine we lost GPS for about 4 minutes at FL370 (ground distance of about 35 miles) over South Wales yesterday afternoon. According to London Control, everyone was experiencing the same. In our case the computer binned GPS and switched our position source to inertial, and accuracy drifted to about 0.6 NM from a normal 0.01 NM.

Funnily, the NOTAM didn’t get picked up by our system, so this thread is the reason I twigged what was going on!
NickC, GAFlyer4Fun liked this
By PeteSpencer
Always ring the mobile number on the NOTAM:

I'm flying today and GPS jamming with 30 mile radius is notamed from STANTA (Norfolk D208)which is just up the road from our strip.in N Suffolk.

So, as I have done before I rang the mobile for info.

"No we're not jamming today: They got the paperwork wrong: we're not starting the trials (?) till next Tuesday and there'll be no jamming even then."

Peter :wink:
By FlightDek
What would happen if you had a device with both GPS and GLONASS and the 2 systems reported completely different positions but both appeared valid? What would the location services in the device do?

Just curious