Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By agfoxx
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Good morning.
My logbook has fallen apart - quite literally. I obviously need to buy a new one.
How do I carry over flights? Does anybody need to certify that I've carried them over correctly?
What about endorsements/ratings/instructor signatures following flight reviews?
Is there a rule as to how long I should keep the old logbook?
By Genghis the Engineer
Keep the old logbook for the rest of your flying career, it is the original record. Depending upon your level of pride it can be resurrected with either duck tape, or a healthy payment to a bookbinder.

Draw a line under the last page of the last entry, and write a summary of your totals in each column.

In your new logbook, write something like "A G Foxx flying logbook, volume 2, started 7 August 2019", at the top of the first page copy over the summary from the previous, then carry on. No harm in also noting the most recent dates of biennials and recurrency tests.

I'm personally well into my second commercial logbook. When I recently went to the USA to do my FAA CPL and IR, I was advised to take all my paper logbooks, so I did. The examiner was checking records from nearly 20 years ago to ensure I met pre-test requirements - so you should NEVER throw it away.

Nobody needs to certify the old records, because they still exist - but as EASA requires a "I certify this is a true record" signature from the holder on every page of a logbook, do that against the copied over summary on page 1 of the new book, and you should be fine.

G
By David Wood
Genghis the Engineer wrote:EASA requires a "I certify this is a true record" signature from the holder on every page of a logbook.

G

Does anyone really do this...? :shock:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
David Wood wrote:Does anyone really do this...? :shock:

Yes, my AFE logbook has a signature line at the bottom of each page. Since it is there, I thought there would be no harm in signing it!
A le Ron, defcribed liked this
By GrahamB
David Wood wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:EASA requires a "I certify this is a true record" signature from the holder on every page of a logbook.

G

Only because it’s preprinted at the foot of every page of the logbook I use.

Otherwise, if I’m honest, I probably wouldn’t bother.
By David Wood
I think that if I was ever challenged on this (and I never have been, despite submitting all my log books to the CAA on more than one occasion for FCL purposes) I'd be happy to make a single certification that all entries are correct. For what that's worth...
By kanga
In the 501(County of Gloucester) Sqn RAuxAF display at JAM, we have images from the 2nd logbook of 'Ginger' Lacey, started during the Battle of France. It starts by noting this was started because his 1st had been 'lost in France', possibly during one of the several moves (retreats) by the Sqn during the battle. It notes that the accumulated totals were (IIRC) 'reconstructed' :)
By foxmoth
- but as EASA requires a "I certify this is a true record" signature from the holder on every page of a logbook

So what do you do if it is electronic?
Lockhaven liked this
By Rob P
Sign the case of your desktop PC / Mac / Amstrad

Rob P
kanga, Cardinal Sin, G-JWTP and 2 others liked this
By Lockhaven
David Wood wrote:

G

Never have and never will, utter nonsense, but getting an examiner to certify it every year would make more sense if you are really that way inclined.
By Genghis the Engineer
As aviation authorities are well known worldwide for their routine application of common sense, instead of blind obedience to rules, whether they seem sensible or not, I'm sure you'll be fine there Lockhaven.

G
TopCat, A le Ron, defcribed and 2 others liked this
By T67M
I'm genuinely not sure whether you missed a smiley off that, @Genghis the Engineer !