Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not ATC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48574136 wrote:Strikers included security staff, fire and operations teams
Re: What's behind the discontent in aviation?

Re: What's behind the discontent in aviation?
Miscellaneous wrote:HIAL, Aberdeen and Glasgow ATC, BA and now Ryanair pilots.

Is the industry across the board really short changing their employees?

I don't understand the question, Misc.

Supply & demand determines how many prospective pilots, air crew, baggage handlers, ATC personnel etc will accept the pay on offer, Is this not the same for any other industry?
@Rob L agreed, but what's the problem in a growing industry. Historically when industries have been growing management have given in to demands to avoid disruption and the money has been there to fund demands (at least short term). What's happening here? Is management making a legitimate stand, and/or is the workforce being unrealistic? :?

hatzflyer wrote:Just a silly thought , I wonder what would have the most effect on this country , all the truck drivers striking for a month or all the pilots striking for a month ?

First instinct is truck drivers. I avoid commercial flight but would benefit from quite roads. :tongue:

Being serious I think goods not being moved on the roads would have a quicker mapco on Joe public than a not so quite essential (in the short term) aviation network.
cockney steve liked this
By WelshRichy
Not Glasgow ATC that is for certain, their union is Prospect and are as useless as they are for us in BT but hey ho, that isn’t the topic here! My other halve got excited for a moment until realising she still had night shift to go to tonight!

Ops and security staff have been going on strike though at Glasgow as part of Unite industrial action.
By G-JWTP
hatzflyer wrote:Just a silly thought , I wonder what would have the most effect on this country , all the truck drivers striking for a month or all the pilots striking for a month ?

Fuel tanker drivers alone, will have the country in a standstill after approx 7 days.
( See recent history early September 2000)

G-JWTP
I've always been of the opinion that if you don't like the deal you are on, you should go find a better one elsewhere. If you can't find a better deal elsewhere, the job is paying what it is worth.

If enough ATC's say "sod this, I can earn more as a shuttering carpenter on a building site" and leave the industry, the industry will have to up the rates to lure them back.

I totally disagree with groups holding the country to ransom, whether it be ATC's, pilots or tanker drivers, employers should be entitled to sack them on those grounds.
RisePilot, cockney steve, Peter Mundy and 3 others liked this
I don't think it's only in aviation. There is a relentless race to the bottom, driven by bean counters and business "experts" who can only see as far as the bottom line. Government subscribe to the same doctrine and even make it mandatory in some areas. Businesses have got so big that there is no feeling of "belonging" or responsibility in any of the workers and owners, so the bare minimum is done and the bare minimum is paid. Nobody cares and nobody sees any link between a job well done and a job that stays. Customers rarely care about the quality or reliability of anything and only see the price. The throwaway society is here in spades. We made the world we deserve.......
AndyR, bilko2, Dominie and 14 others liked this