Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By agfoxx
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Guys and girls, I'm after some feedback.

I've now published 10 episodes of The Two Thousand Feet Aviation Podcast.

I started it as a toy, - but I feel that now that more than 4500 people listen to it, it needs to become a show for all of us, UK pilots, not just a hobby horse for me, Artyom Liss.

Oh, and it needs to get better. A lot better.

I know, for example, that the last episode I did, - about what goes on behind the scenes of an airshow, - saw most people dropping off after about 60% of the programme.

I also know that about 70% of people who listen to one episode subscribe to the entire show, - which is great. But what can I do to attract the other 30%?

I really need to know what works for us, British aviators, and what doesn't.

So, with this in mind, please hit me with you feedback.
I've built a form - filling it in shouldn't take more than two minutes.
And if you leave me your name in the "other comments" section, I'll give you a big shout-out in the next episode. Unless you tell me not to do that, of course.
Thank you!
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/X8ZKXCP
Last edited by agfoxx on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agfoxx wrote:Oh, and by the way, here's episode 10: Behind the scenes at an airshow; the death of the Thruster brand.
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/b ... 0444284965

Minor 'complaint', some of the audio levels on this one were a bit jarring. Conversation was much quieter than the between segment music, which gave me a bit of a shock in the car!

Andy
By agfoxx
adhawkins wrote:Don't take it as too much of a criticism, I coped! Just thought it was mentioning.

I enjoy the content, which is the main thing!

Andy

Thanks, Andy, and thank you, too, for your comments on Surveymonkey!
Listened to a few of your podcasts. Very interesting and well done. Hope you go on to even better success.
Just an irritant: please get and learn how to use audio compression. There are many plug-ins available. The music stings and links are irritating (too much dynamic range - they sound 'loud' in comparison to the dialogue). Smooth out that difference using a little compression in the music.

Apply a compression ratio of about 5:1 to start, depending upon the music. I will then ask how you are metering your content: VU, PPM, Loudness? Probably Peak LED - find out how the balistics operate and if they follow a set characteristic.

Your content is great, but the technicals do need addressing.

20 years + in professional broadcast audio engineering... :whistle:
By agfoxx
BirdsEyeView wrote:Listened to a few of your podcasts. Very interesting and well done. Hope you go on to even better success.
Just an irritant: please get and learn how to use audio compression. There are many plug-ins available. The music stings and links are irritating (too much dynamic range - they sound 'loud' in comparison to the dialogue). Smooth out that difference using a little compression in the music.

Apply a compression ratio of about 5:1 to start, depending upon the music. I will then ask how you are metering your content: VU, PPM, Loudness? Probably Peak LED - find out how the balistics operate and if they follow a set characteristic.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate. I won't bore everybody on this forum with how I do the technical side of things, - partly because I'm not at all sure I'm doing it right.
I come from an editorial background (19 years in the BBC, of which about 10 in radio, of which about six in the field, with no sound engineers to help me mix my packages).
I'm sure, - indeed, I'm convinced, - that I should be doing a much better job with the sound quality. I'll read up on this a bit more.
Thank you.
Foxmoth22 liked this
By agfoxx
BirdsEyeView wrote:Listened to a few of your podcasts. Very interesting and well done. Hope you go on to even better success.

Hi @BirdsEyeView - look what I found!

https://auphonic.com/ claims to use machine learning and other similar techniques to do all the acoustic clean-up for you - and it's free, so long as you're uploading less than two hours a month.

Sounds like a great deal to me - I just fed it episodes 8-11, and it makes a massive difference.

Thanks again for pointing out the technical issues to me.
BirdsEyeView liked this
I’ve been enjoying your podcast since the first episode. There’s some proper substance. (There’s another out there where some blokes just read out articles from web sites.).

And I like the “Radio Package” production... feels like I’m listening to Radio Four :)
By agfoxx
paulo999 wrote:I’ve been enjoying your podcast since the first episode. There’s some proper substance. (There’s another out there where some blokes just read out articles from web sites.).

And I like the “Radio Package” production... feels like I’m listening to Radio Four :)

Thanks, very kind of you to say so.
By agfoxx
The Two Thousand Feet Podcast is back from the summer break. I talk to people who design aeroplanes - and to people who design regulations - at the LAA rally at Sywell; and I join the crew of the Catalina, a 1930s flying boat, for a few circuits in the air above Duxford.
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/t ... 0448789382
ChampChump liked this
By agfoxx
In Episode 14:

Do flexwings have a future? I talk to Andrew Cranfield, who ran the world's leading manufacturer of flexwing microlights until it went bankrupt; to Geoff Weighell, CEO of the British Microlight Aircraft Association; and I go up in a flexwing and come back very confused.

Also, my wife and I ask Dr. Drew Tarmey from the Manchester Medical School about her motion sickness: what causes it, and what we can do about it.

http://2kft.buzzsprout.com/265656/17224 ... n-sickness