For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My head wasn't quite with the context of the thread when I read the "bodies attached to a skateboard" comment... :shock: :D
By Colonel Panic
Not sure how robust some of his scientific claims are, but I thought this was worth a watch - even if a tad long for those with a short attention span.

(Cue RobP saying "I told you so" - & he is right! :D :thumleft: )

Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Having now found the time to watch it through, yes the presenter's voice-over is a huge disincentive, but there's a lot of good stuff in there.

For what it's worth the linked article doesn't put Tesla in the top spot for real world mileage
https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.ampprojec ... dai-Jaguar

Rob P
Colonel Panic liked this
By eltonioni
I'm wondering if the hedge funds might be seeing a chance to cash out, maybe force a trade sale, or something else. The share price has risen steadily these last couple of months but it's still low and the news doesn't get better as the years tick by.

Tesla’s still losing money despite a record quarter for deliveries

A $408 million Q2 loss means Tesla is over $1 billion in losses for the year, and its CTO is stepping down

Tesla made and delivered more cars in the second quarter of 2019 than it did in any other quarter in company history, but still lost $408 million, according to a new filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. That’s an improvement over the unexpectedly big $702 million loss Tesla posted in the first quarter of 2019, but it means the Model 3 is still not successful enough to lift the company out of the red for good.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/24/2070 ... -elon-musk
By Colonel Panic
eltonioni wrote:... and the news doesn't get better as the years tick by.

Really? Still a loss, but at a reduced level, and now with positive cash flow and record deliveries.

In Q2, Model 3 deliveries reached an all-time record of 77,634. Not only was Model 3 once again the best-selling premium vehicle in the US, outselling all of its gas-powered equivalents combined...

There is still a long way to go, but far from fire sale material.

EDITED TO ADD - I have just noticed the timeline on that graph is quite old - but the sales figures mentioned above are current.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Colonel Panic
Colonel Panic wrote:
eltonioni wrote:... and the news doesn't get better as the years tick by.

Really? Still a loss, but at a reduced level, and now with positive cash flow and record deliveries.

In Q2, Model 3 deliveries reached an all-time record of 77,634. Not only was Model 3 once again the best-selling premium vehicle in the US, outselling all of its gas-powered equivalents combined...

By Flyin'Dutch'
We happened to stumble upon a Tesla dealership the other day and had a good look.

1. Mrs FD likes them
2. The paint quality is not great
3. Their leasing rates for business users are unattractive
4. I think they are bland, Mondeo'sh
5. Interesting enough though to give them a whirl will I ever win the lottery
MikeB liked this
By johnm
It's quite interesting that this business model is not looked upon with favour in the UK. However it has been followed by Google, Amazon and Facebook as well as Tesla, so it would be premature to say the least to suggest that Tesla is on the way out.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By mmcp42
I must confess I just contributed to Elon Musk's pension fund and ordered a Model 3
if anyone else is thinking of doing the same - feel free to use my referral code
we both get 1,000 miles of free charging :)

https://ts.la/michael13036
(I'm sure the mods will shred this if inappropriate!)
By Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:We happened to stumble upon a Tesla dealership the other day and had a good look.

Do they have dealerships? I thought they just had pop-up showrooms, usually in shopping malls.

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:4. I think they are bland, Mondeo'sh

But effing quick. Not like any Mondeo I am aware of. (And environmentally laudable)

Rob P
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:3. Their leasing rates for business users are unattractive

From looking at Tesla forums very few seem to be taking the Tesla finance option - most go to a third party due to their better rates.
By Colonel Panic
Rob P wrote:Do they have dealerships? I thought they just had pop-up showrooms, usually in shopping malls.

The distinction between full blown "dealerships" and pop up showrooms is less relevant outside of the USA where they still have some antiquated laws concerning not letting manufacturers sell direct to end users.

But there are some "service centres" that also have showrooms - Chiswick, West Drayton, Dartford, Leeds, Bristol & Manchester being a few.
By Colonel Panic
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:2. The paint quality is not great

JAAMOI, what colour(s) did you see? Tesla have recently changed the "free" colour from black to white as, it seems, they have been spending a lot of time & money trying to hide swirl marks etc in the black paint, when the white masks such imperfections. (But this is not to detract from the fact that Tesla still have issues with paint in general).
By kanga
Colonel Panic wrote:

having in '80s lived for 6 years (and bought cars, new and used) in North America, to me what is telling about that graph is that none of the 'premium' brands are trafitional US 'badges', In '80s there would have been rebadged, higher spec (comfort, finish, performance, gizmos) versions of, IIRC: Ford as Mercury or Lincoln, GM as Pontiac or Oldsmobile, Chrysler as Plymouth or Dodge ..