Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Jack Smith
I’ve just received my PPL licence back from the CAA after passing my skills test. It is titled European Union Flight Crew Licence. I was expecting it to be titled Private Pilots a licence or similar . Flight crew suggests to me any number of positions. Is this correct?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Box II on Page 3 will tell you the type of licence, and the licence number begins 'GBR.FCL.PP....' for a PPL.
By Jack Smith
Thanks, I’ve seen that now. Bizarrely it also says I need to carry a document containing a photo for the purposes of identification of the licence . Would it be more sense to have a photo on the Licence similar to the driving licence or passport ? Or is that too sensible?
By GrahamB
romille wrote:
Jack Smith wrote:Or is that too sensible?

Far too logical, please remember this is the CAA you are dealing with. :lol:

Nothing to do with the CAA. This is an EASA requirement for Part FCL licences.
By johnm
This pattern of licence has a long history in the UK it's because all the ratings etc. are on it. The FAA licence is a credit card but still needs separate photo ID
By T67M
JReading wrote:Im still in shock i paid over £200 for some paper i have to fold and put into a wallet that smells like a swimming pool inflatable

Congrats on getting the licence! Just make sure you do fold it, and not cut it. According to the CAA, the licence is invalid if cut. I believe the Dutch equivalent authority has a more enlightened view and supply the licence pre-cut to fit within the booklet provided.
By PaulB
T67M wrote:
JReading wrote:Im still in shock i paid over £200 for some paper i have to fold and put into a wallet that smells like a swimming pool inflatable

Congrats on getting the licence! Just make sure you do fold it, and not cut it. According to the CAA, the licence is invalid if cut. I believe the Dutch equivalent authority has a more enlightened view and supply the licence pre-cut to fit within the booklet provided.

Is there a definitive view on the don’t cut your licence up although common sense would suggest that you shouldn’t. You wouldn’t cut your driving licence up and expect it to be still valid.
By riverrock
PaulB wrote:Is there a definitive view on the don’t cut your licence

Yes - CAA have been very clear on this - if you cut it up, it becomes invalid.
I'm not sure if they still do, but for a while they were including a piece of paper with the licence saying this after various people were cutting up theirs.
By PaulB
CAP804 says that you are not permitted to cut an EASA licence as it's layout is stipulated by EASA. However, CAP804 is reference only.

The new EASA Part-FCL licence document is printed on A4 security paper, with 8 pages to each side, those pages not used are marked ‘Intentionally Blank’. The licence document folds into A7, the CAA will provide a new licence cover on initial issue of a licence in the new format. The licence should NOT be cut; some Member States consider cutting the licence to render it invalid.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalappli ... il&id=6412

Still think the best advice is not to cut up it (or your medical) irrespective of whether it's legal to do so or not.
By Irv Lee
Personally, I think folding it technically damages it, it is clearly then in a state which cannot be restored to the original condition so I don't know what else to call it. I do hope no-one has folded theirs.... :roll:
:wink:
By PeteSpencer
My green paper driving licence was 30 years old when I reached a certain age and had to chop it in for a plastic one .

It had been kept folded credit card size and opened up a zillion times for car hire etc to the extent hat it was totally worn through on some folds and much of the info (including driver number ) were incomplete.

Never once seemed to bother the Hertz /(other rentals are available) all over the world.

Peter
By Irv Lee
PeteSpencer wrote:My green paper driving licence was 30 years old when I reached a certain age and had to chop it in for a plastic one .

It had been kept folded credit card size and opened up a zillion times for car hire etc to the extent hat it was totally worn through on some folds and much of the info (including driver number ) were incomplete.

Never once seemed to bother the Hertz /(other rentals are available) all over the world.

Peter

Yes but apparently the caa say it is against the law to cut up the licence as it considers that cutting defaces an official dcument. Clearly from the design, with page numbering, caa ref, etc, etc, on every mini-page, the licence was designed to be cut up, but this "cutting as per design = defacing it" is part of project fear of worries about Easa audits which is (i guess) responsible for the sudden need for colour photocopies of photo id. I would like to know why the jobsworth who decided "cutting as per design = defacing it" does not think their recommended "folding it" does not deface it.
Now if only someone who once ran a red tape challenge could be appointed top of the DoT....