Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
It’s really only useful having it in our public maps if you want people to come to it, and want it mapped nicely for them when they do.
By Wildcat One
The farmer (chicken farm - Mr Wright??)

John or Jesus to some , because of his long silver mane, penchant for loose flowing clothes and open-toe leather sandles , departed this fix some years ago, he was a well-respected cultivator of hops for thr brewing trade. He was a very generous and intelligent man. I learned only last week that Monewden has been bought and is now somebody's private airstrip.

Peter flies out of Knettishall and is happy to have his strip on the CAA chart. Peter does not live on his strip.

I live on my strip and have no desire to share it. There's nothing in this area that would make it a prime destination. If you are coming to visit me, I may allow you to use it if it is convenient and safe. The Apaches use it as they have permission and most months the junior service turn over it or beat it up as they know about it, too.

It's a big sky and there are far fewer movements than there were 20 odd years ago.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve stopped allowing visitors to my three strips, unless I know them and how/what they fly. I certainly wouldn’t want them marked on a Nav database.

Too many close calls from people who simply can’t fly, bad airmanship, and a growing blame culture in recent years to risk it.
By Cub
Wildcat One wrote:
It's a big sky and there are far fewer movements than there were 20 odd years ago.

Lots more GA, more widely dispersed over more private strips and lots of micro lights, compared with 1970s but far less military in East Anglia.
By Wildcat One
Lots more GA, more widely dispersed over more private strips and lots of micro lights, compared with 1970s but far less military in East Anglia.

Totally agree - my chances of being mown down by an F4-mate, Harrier-mate, Tornado-mate, Jag-mate, A-10 are much less. Those that do whizz around do it much higher, so my perception is that the fewer fast-movers around these days are far more visible than in days of yore when they were plentiful.

There were six aircraft heard/seen around my strip today hich could have been concerning had I been aviating. That metric is pretty normal throughout the week. That's one a wee bit less than every two hours, so I'm not getting terribly worked up about it!

Monewden has an open day apparently over August BH w/e. I may venture out!
By skydriller
Wildcat One wrote: - my chances of being mown down by an F4-mate, Harrier-mate, Tornado-mate, Jag-mate, A-10 are much less.

Not many of those *-mates flying anywhere anymore... :(

More likely to come across an F15E-mate or Typhoon-mate....possibly... :wink:
By seanxair
Tim Dawson wrote:It’s really only useful having it in our public maps if you want people to come to it, and want it mapped nicely for them when they do.

Not totally averse to visitors with PPR. Was considering mapping it more for awareness purposes for others as I am bang in the middle of a fairly busy area
By Sooty25
seanxair wrote:
Tim Dawson wrote:It’s really only useful having it in our public maps if you want people to come to it, and want it mapped nicely for them when they do.

Not totally averse to visitors with PPR. Was considering mapping it more for awareness purposes for others as I am bang in the middle of a fairly busy area

We went on the map due to lots of low level traffic passing through from neighbouring airfields. Hasn't made a blind bit of difference!
PeteSpencer liked this
By seanxair
Sooty25 wrote:
seanxair wrote:

We went on the map due to lots of low level traffic passing through from neighbouring airfields. Hasn't made a blind bit of difference!

That is what I suspected so didn't bother in the end!
By PeteSpencer
mmcp42 wrote:didn't Keef (late of this parish) fly from there?

Yep he was in a Jodel group after he sold GUTSY and moved from Thundersley.
It was still in the old boy's hands and quietly dying. Then the new bloke who flew from our strip intermittently took it on and seems to have turned it round.
But he has banned me from ever visiting. :wink:

Peter
By PeteSpencer

Our visitors are unerringly courteous and stick to our guidelines We have several regulars including aCPL trainee from Coventry whose mum lives in the next village and a businessman who flies up from the West Country in his Bonanza for business meetings in Thetford.

Peter
kanga liked this