Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydiver548
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just flew a coupled visual approach into Fowlmere EGMA using the updated firmware (version 6.51) on G-BVWZ's GTN 750 . Amazing :D :D

On the approach database "visual 07" and "visual 25" have appeared where there was nothing before and they give you a straight in approach from a point V3NM (which I assume is visual/virtual 3 nautical miles), simply loaded and activated as you would any approach and the pressed APP on the KFC 150 and it took me from 2500ft NW of Royston down to 200 ft on centre line and the numbers of 07 Fowlmere.

My only input was to turn the CDI to 065 at V3NM, but if you had roll steering you wouldn't even need that.

It impressed me... just saying
Last edited by skydiver548 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skydiver548 wrote:Just flew a coupled visual approach into Fowlmere EGMA using the updated firmware (version 6.51) on G-BVWZ's GTN 750 . Amazing :D :D

............................It impressed me... just saying

The 750 is an amazing piece of kit. One of the aircraft I fly has this with the Aspen and S-Tec something or other autopilot and when you start digging down into the menus etc, it keeps offering up nice goodies. The downside is it is making me a lazy pilot.................. :D
By 2Donkeys
For fields set in questionable terrain (not sure how that is quantified), the option of a visual approach doesn't exist on the 750.

Worth noting though that when an approach is available, the descent angle can be varied by the pilot to suit.
An interesting one for the CAA and aerodromes currently attempting to notify PBN approaches using RNAV(GNSS) LPV.

The CAP1616 and previous CAP725 ACP when applied to smaller units with either FIS or AGCS is proving v difficult and so this enabler changes things.

OK, not everyone has this kit yet but the aerodromes I'm helping have a target market where prevalence could be higher.
2Donkeys wrote:For fields set in questionable terrain (not sure how that is quantified), the option of a visual approach doesn't exist on the 750.

Worth noting though that when an approach is available, the descent angle can be varied by the pilot to suit.

Also worth pointing out that they're called visual approaches

Ian
johnm, 2Donkeys, pete2052 liked this
By 2Donkeys
diverdriver wrote:Were you able to upgrade the firmware yourself or is this something that can only be done by an avionics shop?

It's an avionics shop thing - not because it is difficult to do, but because the firmware upgrades can only be downloaded by approved shops.