Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Bathman
"1 cross-country flight of at least 150 km (80 NM), during which a full stop landing at an aerodrome different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made"

Which isn't exactly very demanding I always thought the NPPL was better 100nm with two stops
By Balliol
You have to think of the LAPL as the first 30hours of the 45 hour PPL - it’s like one of the training landaways on PPL course. Remember students will then solo hours build for experience / do longer cross country as part of PPL upgrade.
gaznav liked this
By PortAndCheese
I disagree Balliol.
The LAPL isn’t the equivalent of a motorcycle CBT or even a French Brevet de Base.
It’s a pan European licence allowing people to fly sizable light aircraft with passengers across multiple countries. Likening it to a stepping stone to a “better” licence is misleading, there’s no requirement to then “upgrade”.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bathman wrote:"1 cross-country flight of at least 150 km (80 NM), during which a full stop landing at an aerodrome different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made"

Which isn't exactly very demanding I always thought the NPPL was better 100nm with two stops

I don't know.

What does the evidence suggest?

People with new LAPLs

- never flying beyond base?
- bumble aimlessly around not finding destinations beyond 80 miles

:?:

Due to my slightly unusual route to a UK PPL I never did the traditional QXC my UK trained counterparts did but having flown across a lot of Europe after qualifying and some time in the US I never thought I had missed out on that experience of the QXC.

Some post qualification help/guidance/coaching is probably more useful than just the experience of the QXC alone.
By Crash one
My NPPL QXC consisted of 5 legs.
32 mm, turn, 33nm and land, 12nm and land, 18nm, turn, 20nm and land.
Total 115nm, 2 landings other than departure.
Never got more than 32nm from home base.
All well within the “training area”.
Not exactly challenging.
I think there should be a landing at least 100nm straight line distance from departure with at least one turning point in it.

To the question: Yes.
By MachFlyer
I've got to do mine next week (weather permitting) so leave it as it is :lol:

To be honest it will be over 100nm, obviously with only one stop, but if I thought for one minute I couldn't do an extra 40nm and landing at another airfield on the way back (may have to anyway for any number of reasons) I probably wouldn't take off in the first place.
townleyc liked this
By patowalker
I met my flexwing flying friend on Friday in France and later that day in Belgium. On Saturday he flew to Germany for lunch and returned to Belgium. On Sunday he flew to Holland for lunch, before returning to the UK direct. His licence required two QXC flights of 40 NM with a landing more than 15 NM from base. :D