Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By IMCR
With the discussion here regarding infringements there are some real and relevant bomb shells in this report. It is well worth a read.

"The current Airspace design model, on all levels, is unfit for purpose. The Department for Transport should seek to radically change or replace Section70 and the CAA should replace all relevant guidance. This should lay out clear direction and objectives, as well as the methodology used to arrive their conclusion."

"The CAA shouldlook to radically change the policy objective behind airspace design changes. The Inquiryrecommends that the Department for Transport and the CAA adopt, or base theirpolicyon,‘safety, proportionality and need’."

There is that word again which has come up so often - "proportionality".

"It is the view held by many in the civil aviation community that the current legislation, policies and procedures laidout by the Department for Transport and the CAA areout of date and fail to adequately or properly balance the needs ofall sectors of aviation."

Which seems to be a reoccurring theme.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lord Kirkhope wrote: Whilst it is not in the remit of the Inquiry to examine or conclude whether the CAA is fulfilling its duties as required by statute, it is clear to the Inquiry that the CAA is failing all users of airspace in its current approach to airspace design and management.

No-one can accuse the inquiry of sitting on the fence!
By kanga
I looked Kirkhope up online to learn about his background, starting here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Kirkhope

I see he is on the APPG-GA, and a photo on his own site links to a Twitter photo suggesting he may have a PPL.

Beware: one of the cited sites at the end, 'MiCandidate', appears to link to something dodgy :oops:
By James Chan
For environmental purposes, we have not published the written evidence received, instead this is available on the APPG-GA Website

Can anyone see where this is?
By PaulB
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:No-one can accuse the inquiry of sitting on the fence!

Indeed...

All pilots of all kinds of aircraft, must remember that a large burden remains on them. If they want a more flexible airspace system, pilots must be willing to follow the rules and keep up to date with any and all changes.
AlanM, gaznav liked this
By Dave W
Regarding the apparently missing written evidence, I have contacted APPG via the website form to ask for a link, or if it has not yet been uploaded.

Edit: I had a rapid reply. They are having technical issues with the website and hope to have the material available by the end of today.
kanga, gaznav liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
dublinpilot wrote:I'm surprised to see that no flavour of AOPA is listed. Is there a background to that?

I noticed that, but they may have contributed via GAAC.

Also many gliding clubs on the list but only a couple of GA airfields. I suspect that relates to lobbying (or lack of) by their respective representative organisations.
kanga wrote:I looked Kirkhope up online to learn about his background, starting here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Kirkhope

I see he is on the APPG-GA, and a photo on his own site links to a Twitter photo suggesting he may have a PPL.

Beware: one of the cited sites at the end, 'MiCandidate', appears to link to something dodgy :oops:

1983 - Learnt to fly and obtained his Private Pilot's Licence

At the controls of a PA28
By gaznav
Interestingly only 3 mentions of the CAA’s CAP1711 Airspace Modernisation Strategy - http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... il&id=8960

Did the publication of this some 6 months ago ‘spike the guns’ of this report? I would have thought it would have been mentioned more as vehicle to drive forward some of the things that Lord Kirkhope recommends?

Also, no mention of CAP1391 or the other ADS-B initiatives that are supposed to offer. The only mention I could find, that was very loose, was:

This gap severely limits the CAA’s ability to ensure that UK airspace reflects demonstrated need and changes in line with the application of new technologies such as the creation of effective electronic conspicuity devices. These devices are making the skies safer for all users, relaying real-time data to pilots and air traffic controllers. This will mean that all aircraft are always visible and can be monitored and as a result, the amount of controlled airspace can be reduced, as the monitoring and tracking requirement will be applied universally, no matter the class of airspace.
By gaznav
Another interesting line:

All aviators and users of airspace must obey the rules of the skies and all airspace classes no matter how much any group may disagree with them. It was clear from the evidence provided to the Inquiry by GASCo, for instance, that pilots have actively violated airspace because of personal views on the subject.