Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I was going to post this on the SkyDemon forums however the website currently seems to have https/certificate issues so decided against logging in (@Tim Dawson)

A question for those that fly with SkyDemon + traffic.

I fly with SD + PAW, and whilst generally relying purely on audio alerts vs looking at the screen for traffic my heart always stops for a brief second when I join my local circuit only to spot conflicting traffic on-screen on the downwind leg of which I haven't been notified.

Our airfield has separate circuits for fixed-wing and microlights...Can anyone see where this is going? :)

Despite knowing full well the traffic icons are different, every time I see the aircraft icon identifying the fixed-wing circuit my brain instantly assumes it must be traffic and I need a split second to remember that, in fact, that isn't the case and no avoiding action is necessary.

Perhaps this is exacerbated by relying on audio alerts so much that I never really have to look at the screen to see traffic/traffic icons, but I'm curious to know if this is a quirk limited to me/my brain or if others have experienced the same?

It catches me out even when looking at Sky Demon from the comfort of my chair at home (which motivated me to make this thread.)

Is it just me?
@ivor.phillips Thanks for the suggestion however the real traffic isn't the issue.

@GrahamB is correct.

@Tim Dawson

It's possibly just me but it catches me every time!

PS Certificate seems fine now

Edit: PPS Screenshot taken from Android (Galaxy S7) should that make a difference to the way the symbols are sized/displayed.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Those are hollow, rather than actual traffic which is solid and (usually) quite a different size, but suggestions for how we might do it differently are always welcome :)
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Tim Dawson wrote:Those are hollow, rather than actual traffic which is solid and (usually) quite a different size, but suggestions for how we might do it differently are always welcome :)

I suggest being able to change the colour of traffic aircraft.

Yes, I know I've been suggesting this for 3 or more years now! :mrgreen:
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nomad63 wrote:Not found it a problem and I've normally assimilated the circuit info and stopped looking at the screen by that point anyway.

But how about just a simple arrow?

The issue (if there is one, personally I’ve never found it a problem) is that SD will use symbols to differentiate between the different types of circuit e.g. Heli, Microlight, FW where they exist.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Tim Dawson wrote:Those are hollow, rather than actual traffic which is solid and (usually) quite a different size, but suggestions for how we might do it differently are always welcome :)

I suggest being able to change the colour of traffic aircraft.

Yes, I know I've been suggesting this for 3 or more years now! :mrgreen:

I would vote for this change as well, as I find the traffic not so clear to see being white as it is in something like Foreflight.