Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There is a difference in practical terms.

A VDL means that correction is required for, you guessed it, distance vision and for that the limitations means 'shall wear corrective lenses and have available a spare set of spectacles.

A VNL means that correction is required for near vision and for that limitation you need to have corrective lenses available and a spare set of spectacles available.

List of all limitations:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 41qnlz2Gr8
By Rob L
Thanks Frank...that explains why the code VNL is on my Class 2 medical (although to be fair my medical does state it in long hand). I had just not understood what VNL meant.
Thanks again

Rob
Abbreviation-phobia, I assume...is that a medical condition? :wink:
By Rob L
PeteSpencer wrote:A former forumite used to tell the tale of his first pair of varifocals which gave him great trouble judging the height of kerbs.

This culminated one day in mis-judging the sill while entering a London Underground train and flying headlong into the carriage to the bafflement of the other passengers.

Peter

Knowing PeteSpencer's former profession, I was rather expecting him to offer an alternative to any abbreviation beginning with "V" :thumright:
By neilmurg
Is there a TLA for the eyesight problem where you can't see posts you know you've written?

I was serious about the question of replacement lenses to correct 'old eyes'. The joke was a harmless addition, only to be feared by humourless curmudgeons .
[edit] Working CAA eye surgery link from below VVV [/edit]
Last edited by neilmurg on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Both corrective surgery and interocular lenses replacements are allowed with some caveats.

Some more information here:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Exami ... lots-(EASA)/Conditions/Visual/Guidance-following-eye-surgery/

With regard to vanishing joking posts - consider that humour is a very personal matter and what you think is a funny joke may be nausea inducing to a humourless curmudgeon. We generally let you get on with your PAW promoting posts in EC threads but we don't quite need that in every thread on the forum.
By GAFlyer4Fun
Flyin'Dutch

Thanks for the first link.
I had had not realised the distinction between "have available" and "wear".
When VNL was initially put on my class 2, in practical terms "have available" meant the same as "wear" to avoid faffing around during the busier times of a flight.

Now that I dont optically need readers, I can revert to standard sunglasses and just have a couple of pairs of cheap supermarket readers in the "available" flight bag to satisfy the legal bit of paper.

The table also suggests my AME could have removed VNL from my Class 2 certificate to keep things simple!
By IWF
Does anyone know which eye test is used , or which chart?

I’d like to test myself before going out for a medical, and preferably avoid paying out ££ for varifocal lenses if I don’t need to.
By James Chan
I was presented with a Snellen chart as well as the Ishihara test.

I also had some text to read with different sizes at about reading length.

If you print an approach plate and aerodrome plate from the AIP in A5, put it on your lap and can read all the text, then I think you should be fine for near length reading.

You may find this useful: Guidance Material
By Human Factor
I’m a Class 1 holder (until at least the end of August hopefully). I can read the bottom line on the chart still (the “made in Taiwan” line believe it or not).

For the last twenty years or so my AME as produced “the stick” and stuck it on the bridge of my nose. It predicted the need for reading glasses at the age of 46. Utterly incorrect. I have just bought my first pair(s) of +1 at the age of 47. I only need them in bad light. :cyclopsani:
By Rob P
Human Factor wrote:For the last twenty years or so my AME as produced “the stick”

Or as my now retired AME would say "Now let's play the trombone"

Rob P
By IWF
Thanks all

I’ve used reading glasses for years +1.5, so certainly need for reading plates etc in the cockpit , but have separate glasses for distance, which I rarely use or have need for +.075 and +1 according to my latest test. Instruments in the cockpit aren’t an issue.

Rather than fork out for either bifocal or varifocal does anyone think I would be permitted to two set of glasses into a test
By IWF
IWF wrote:Thanks all

I’ve used reading glasses for years +1.5, so certainly need for reading plates etc in the cockpit , but have separate glasses for distance, which I rarely use or have need for +.075 and +1 according to my latest test. Instruments in the cockpit aren’t an issue.

Rather than fork out for either bifocal or varifocal does anyone think I would be permitted to two set of glasses into a test

Having printed out one of the many available on the net and standing back 10 ft I can read all the line 1-9 easily
By Paul_Sengupta
You can get a reasonable pair of bifocals ordered from China via AliExpress for something like 30 quid. You can get varifocals as well, in fact they're more common, but with the requirement to get varifocals just right, I wouldn't like to chance it.
By IWF
But I guess the real question is whether you can take two different pairs of glasses into the medical. I can’t recall what the actual test comprises of. Is it both near and far sight. My +1.25 allows me to read at both distance > 10ft and read up to a ft way. I need my reading glasses for reading at smaller distances.

In truth I’ll buy varifocal, but given they take time would like to get the medical passes in the next fortnight. There’s a strong chance I might solo for the first time soon and I need the medical sorting.

Thanks
By Gasbag
At an eye test a few years back (Boots), the optician mentioned some bifocals (and tri)that used to be in his catalogue for pilots. Seeing the overhead panel was becoming a pain with readers on the end of my nose due to the amount of head tilting back that was needed. Only needed the readers for plates as instruments etc no problem. He said they used to do inverted bifocals and even tri with readers on top and bottom. Can imagine that must have been a nightmare moving your head around? I stuck with tilting my head back further.