For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rikur_ wrote:The one I found quite spooky was that Facebook prompted a friend suggestion of a lady that used to commute on the same train as me. At the time we didn't know each other, but FB must have worked out that we were regularly in the same place as each other. We know each other nowadays, and don't know of any shared friends or other common thread between us, other than we used to catch the same train.

By Paul_Sengupta
The last one I had was when I was chatting to a friend one evening about those emergency things that old people hang around their neck to call for help. He was telling me that it might be an idea for my father to get one. The following day I got a Facebook ad for them. Not had a similar ad before or since though. My friend isn't on Facebook.
VictoryRoll liked this
By VictoryRoll
JoeC wrote:Synchronicity.

Old geezer gets served an ad for old geezer band. Naturally thinks it’s subterfuge. Turns out most old geezers listen to and talk about a relatively small repertoire of old geezer bands.

So. I get your theory, but I’ve never listened to that nor searched before and my mate who discussed it doesn’t even have a smartphone....!

Ps only had FaceTwit a couple of months too !!
JoeC liked this
By VictoryRoll
Paul_Sengupta wrote:The last one I had was when I was chatting to a friend one evening about those emergency things that old people hang around their neck to call for help. He was telling me that it might be an idea for my father to get one. The following day I got a Facebook ad for them. Not had a similar ad before or since though. My friend isn't on Facebook.

Hmmm not just me then.
Time to have some fun with it methinks :twisted:
By Pete L
"Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz...".

In other American spyware news, apparently Google keeps a list of everything you ever bought where Gmail was involved in the transaction.
PaulB liked this
By PaulB
VictoryRoll wrote:Well this is it - I don’t have the face app and nothing else has access to camera or microphone (with my knowledge) .....

So what was listening then?
By Nomad63
Wouldn't suprise me that Google has a few desks at Menwith Hill, probably just across the corrider from ****'s lot

Donked word = facebook owner but not with a Z
By rikur_
Flyingfemme wrote:I found out recently that google maps uses mobile phone positions to work out where traffic is slow or jammed.............

Has done for years. In a similar context O2 has a business unit focused on selling similar data gathered from phones, e.g. to highways planning teams
By VictoryRoll
PaulB wrote:
VictoryRoll wrote:Well this is it - I don’t have the face app and nothing else has access to camera or microphone (with my knowledge) .....

I’m sorry I haven’t a clue .

Or to not quite quote radio four , and quote BoB - The basrstewards are up to something......
By johnm
There is no escape from a lot of this stuff. I do however lie as much as practicable so on Facebook the only real info is my name. Many hotel wifi try to harvest emails etc. but most only check format and so I use fictitious addresses and names for those too.
By PaulB
VictoryRoll wrote:
PaulB wrote:

I’m sorry I haven’t a clue .

Two things... it's well known that Facebook & Google track your movements across the Internet - even if you are not logged in and even if you don't have an account.

Secondly, what apps have access to the microphone.. or do you have other smart devices (Alexa, Google home thingy)