Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A large number of people would say that a dog should be relaxing in a kennel with a nice bowl of water and a juicy bone to chew* when its owner goes off to an active airfield, for lots of reasons.

Alas some aviation loving, completely benign and harmless dogs pine and bark when left home alone all day, (just ask the neighbours) but eagerly jump aboard for a flying adventure.

Response now received from IWM.

No “ordinary” dogs allowed. “Lots of reasons” not given.

Many thanks for the link Farmer. :wink:
TheFarmer liked this
By defcribed
Just say it's an assistance dog. No-one is going to grill you on what sort, people are too afraid of causing offence when it comes to disability etc.
flybymike liked this
By Rob P
kanga wrote: Bins available outside, including by the picnic tables by the airside fence.

Ewwwww.,.. Remind me never to picnic at JAM on a hot day

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
I hate 'kin dogs: they should be kept on a lead in all public spaces:

They cr ap all over the recreation ground/football pitches at the bottom of our garden. And getting dog sh it out of the treads of buggy tyres is a disgusting nightmare.

Yesterday in the park a bloody great black Labrador the size of a Dump truck came bounding up and skittled over one of my just-under-three-years old twin grandsons and tried to slobber his face. The poor child was hysterical : I had to kick the dog in the head to get it off little Max and grab him free.

Owner came bounding over 'sorry, he is normally very good with children',

Yeah right.

She then promptly legged it to her 4 x 4 in the car park and drove off double quick, leaving me to console a sobbing child and his brother who by then was hysterical too.

Peter :twisted:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By kanga
Rob P wrote:
kanga wrote: Bins available outside, including by the picnic tables by the airside fence.

Ewwwww.,.. Remind me never to picnic at JAM on a hot day

Rob P

we don't get many dogs, expecially on a hot day. But as they are not allowed into the museum (unless assistance), the dog minder of a visiting party will have to wait somewhere while the rest visit, and on a nice day an obvious place is the picnic tables area. The tables also make a convenient anchor for the (mandatory) leads. Given, then, that dogs may well have been there, it seemed prudent of our maintenance team, to put a bin there. It is emptied regularly.
Last edited by kanga on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flybymike liked this
By PeteSpencer
Dusty_B wrote:I was wondering if this was a spin-off from the PAW thread. Clearly as deeply divided a crowd here too....

Nah:

I realise that I am in a tiny minority of dog-haters.

Cat-lover, me

Peter :thumleft:
By Chris Martyr
PeteSpencer wrote:I hate 'kin dogs: they should be kept on a lead in all public spaces: :twisted:

Well, I most certainly do not hate dogs . Quite the opposite in fact , but I agree entirely with the second part of the sentence .

But what I really do hate with a capital 'H' , are dog owners who simply cannot respect the fact that not everybody appreciates their pet wandering around doing what it wants .

Country pubs are another good example . I've lost count of the idiots who walk in the door with their dog on a lead , and then let it off to go around scrounging food , shoving their noses into peoples nether regions ,,,,and if you're wearing shorts ... :pale:

Of course , none of this is the dogs fault , they are [mostly] naturally friendly and loving creatures . It's their bloody owners who cannot respect other people's space .

As for 'airfield trained' dogs ? Sorry , but the only airfield trained dogs are police dogs and drug sniffers . Otherwise keep them on a lead , preferably somewhere other than an airfield !
ChrisT, TheFarmer, GrahamB and 2 others liked this
By nickwilcock
Flying cat:

:P

Badly behaved dogs are indeed unacceptable - that Labrador certainly was! But dogs which are quiet, unassuming and kept on a lead are a different thing altogether.

I was in Düsseldorf airport recently when a young woman came into the central area with her little Maltese terrier. It pottered along on its lead next to her and ignored everyone else, then just sat patiently waiting to board the flight. If only all owners were as thoughtful towards others....
flybymike, Nick liked this