Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Irv Lee wrote:@PeteSpencer Maybe they got fed up renting emergency storage for the flood of them received back marked "Not known at this address"

Thanks Irv:
In the absence of a credible answer to my question on here I rang the 'Communications Dept) at the phone number given in the online version (which incidentally trumpets ' given away freely and at selected events throughout 2018 [sic] ).

It rang unanswered for several minutes, then disconnected.
Communication Dept, eh?

Peter
By PeteSpencer
Joff wrote:Pete - I hadn't responded as I'd already answered your question further up the thread. Pilots eh!

Since publication the comms team has moved office - the website has the contact details http://caa.co.uk/Generic-Pages/Press-office/

Well, you've only partly answered it in that in 2018 hard copies existed.If you could be ars ed to go to events.

You haven't said whether hard copies are still available in 2019 and if so are still sent by post to 'subscribers'

I've emailed my question and set the stopwatch.

Oh, and the contact details on the contents page of summer 2019 issue need updating to give an active phone number

Peter :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFC didn't use it for precision nav, he used it to find one continent after departing another. It sometimes works for precision nav, but for any non-trivial route it depends on having good wind information which basically means being lucky. It often works well for many of us in the UK because we tend to know the area fairly well and there's no shortage of very identifiable features.

There is a good bit in the R V Jones book where he describes some RAF officers telling a committee of some sort that they don't need radio beams because they can navigate perfectly well at night. Jones makes himself unpopular by enquiring why, if that's the case, do their aircraft seem to crash into British hillsides fairly regularly?
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Human Factor
SFC didn't use it for precision nav, he used it to find one continent after departing another.

Easy. Go west until you hit land. If you fly west accurately enough and there is no land, just keep going and you’ll find some where you first started. :twisted:
By Human Factor
defcribed wrote:Isn't there latitude somewhere in the Southern Ocean where one could go west indefinitely and never hit land?

... but your carrier should still be there. :lol:
By Joff
you can stop your stopwatch (bit bizarre - comms team is 24H but only for emergency media enquiries) it's been said before on previous posts re Clued Up. The CAA stop sending hard copies to PPLs many years ago now - primarily due to the cost of sending 30,000 copies even third class and (as Irv said) the many, many gone aways / not known at this address. Also conscious that if we only produce an annual edition some of the articles will be less relevant - so now we issue stories as and when they work - e.g. the trim runaway article had previously been issued to coincide with an AAIB report and then they are compiled into the annual edition. As well as at events there was also a mailout of copies to airfields / flying clubs but we didn't really get any feedback that that was working.

and people don't normally re edit magazines once their published - If Flyer move office I doubt Boss man would go back and change the contact details on previous editions
By johnm
I have an up to date PC and up to date Ipad mini and can happily read it on both. Content very interesting and useful I think. BTW last time I looked the EASA GA team was led by a pilot Dominique Rolandwho did some sensible presentations at an event I attended a while back.
By defcribed
What's an 'emergency media enquiry'?

A H24 service for looking good in the press but a 'might get a response in a few months, might not' service for those paying the bills tells it's own story.