Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Ian Melville wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I'm not competent to discuss medical matters, so won't.

But if you can get an NPPL medical, which presumably you can? I think that you can do FI(microlight). That is real instructing, in good modern aeroplanes, and actually pays a little better. I know plenty of people who have enjoyed long and successful careers as microlight FIs.

G

I didn't think the NPPL medical declaration existed now? Self Declare, or LAPL medical

Yes see here
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/ ... te-pilots/
The bits on self declaration and under 2000kg are relevant.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
jaycee58 wrote: I'm currently a CRI and I'm not at all sure that I can do any CRI stuff such as rating revalidation or LAPL one hour training etc, club currency check flights etc. I realise I couldn't do rating renewal training, tailwheel conversions and that sort of thing.

Why? As long as the other person in the aircraft is a pilot, you have your safety pilot.
patowalker wrote:
jaycee58 wrote: I'm currently a CRI and I'm not at all sure that I can do any CRI stuff such as rating revalidation or LAPL one hour training etc, club currency check flights etc. I realise I couldn't do rating renewal training, tailwheel conversions and that sort of thing.

Why? As long as the other person in the aircraft is a pilot, you have your safety pilot.

Yes and no.

Would be OK for the instructional hour if the pilot is fully qualified but not for differences trainer or if the pilot needs refreshing say before they renew/reval by test and their 2 years are up.
jaycee58 liked this
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm really sorry to read of this news @jaycee58 especially as I know all too well the heart and soul you have put into the exams. Wishing you all the best with finding a resolution, be it microlight instructing or possibly a way forward with the Class 2 via your AME and/or @Flyin'Dutch' with his lovely offer of taking a look for you. :cry:
JAFO, G-BLEW, jaycee58 liked this
lobstaboy wrote:
Ian Melville wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I'm not competent to discuss medical matters, so won't.

But if you can get an NPPL medical, which presumably you can? I think that you can do FI(microlight). That is real instructing, in good modern aeroplanes, and actually pays a little better. I know plenty of people who have enjoyed long and successful careers as microlight FIs.

G

I didn't think the NPPL medical declaration existed now? Self Declare, or LAPL medical

Yes see here
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/ ... te-pilots/
The bits on self declaration and under 2000kg are relevant.

That link, which I had checked prior to posting, implies that it no longer exists.
Thank you, everybody, for your advice and support. Seriously, the replies have really cheered me up! I shall definitely be looking into the microlight option as I'd be quite content to teach people to fly something like the C42. I've seen how the microlight school operates at my airfield and I'm very impressed. They have a steady stream of customers and are often working flat-out teaching both 3-axis and flex-wing. My preference would be to have a Class 2 with no restrictions but if this isn't possible then it's good to now other avenues are open to me. I may contact the BMAA and see what they say.

Lobstaboy:- that's very encouraging. Hopefully, if you can do it then so can I.

FD:- Thank you as well. I'll drop you a short PM soon. Edit:-That'll be an email as you request!
Sooty25, Ridders liked this
Patowalker is correct, I should have made ref to the form, but did not have the number to hand. It was also known as a 'GP Declaration', not 'Self Declaration'.

I cannot find it in writing, but I have been advised that you cannot use a Self Declaration for instructing SLMG? CAP804 is not so clear and has not been amended since the Self Declaration became available.
By Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
Another vote for the microlight instructing route. My local microlight instructor and a colleague offer ‘One Week Intensive Courses’ flying around Europe. They have recently returned from touring Spain, with Norway planned soon. They seem to have a steady stream of customers and are flying the latest Pipistrel *microlights.

*Whether you call something with a 150Kt cruise speed, 750nm range and 23,000’ service ceiling a microlight is debatable, but they have some nice pictures over the Pyrenees taken on the recent Spanish trip.
lobstaboy wrote:The microlight route as suggested by Genghis is definitely a way you can do this (as long as you are happy only instructing to NPPL level as that's the only microlight qualification). Yes it's real instructing.
I know this can be done - different medical condition, but I did it.

Lobstaboy...I've sent you a PM.
WKW wrote:*Whether you call something with a 150Kt cruise speed, 750nm range and 23,000’ service ceiling a microlight is debatable, but they have some nice pictures over the Pyrenees taken on the recent Spanish trip.

Which microlight is that?

Ian