The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Duncan M
The common size size tyres fitted to Jodels is 420x150.
These tyres are now well over £200 each.
It may be worth changing wheels to fit a cheaper and more widely available tyre.
Has anyone done this?
Any information for supply of suitable wheels/brake parts.
By Kittyhawk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Check out the Technical Leaflet section of the LAA website. Tech leaflet TL 3.17 lists approved prototype Mods. There is a mod listed, number 13528, fitted to G-AYUT, for a custom set of wheels and a disc brake system. Might be a good starting point?
Last edited by Kittyhawk on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jodelman
Duncan M wrote:The common size size tyres fitted to Jodels is 420x150.
These tyres are now well over £200 each.

I see that just two years ago I paid a total of £539.08 for two tyres and two inner tubes for my D120 which uses 420x150 tyres! Silly money for a couple of small tyres and tubes but it was 15 years since they had last been changed so they had survived very well.

Irritating when a friend with a D117 uses high speed trailer tyres that cost him less than £25 per axle.
By riverrock
We've just bought new tyres / tubes for our Jodel. Managed to damage the wheel during replacement - so its been expensive!
How often do you rotate your tyres? The substantial tow-in means we see pretty uneven ware. Would also be interested in mods - but hopefully these ones last a looong time.

Yahoo groups? Didn't know that was still a thing! I might have had a Yahoo account 15 years ago...
By Jodelman
In the 15 years or so and about 1500 hours that I had the old tyres, I never rotated them and there was little, if any, uneven wear. Indeed, the tread was still very healthy but careful examination found a split at the bottom of one tread down to the casing. What I learned (and everyone else already knew!) was that aged tyres need replacing even if the tread is still good.

To get the old tyres off the wheel I had to enlist the help of my local tyre fitters and their machine to break the seal or I am sure that I would have damaged my wheel as well.
By MikeW
riverrock wrote:
Yahoo groups? Didn't know that was still a thing! I might have had a Yahoo account 15 years ago...

Ikwym and rumblings do arise about changing platform, but the group is an excellent knowledge resource.
riverrock liked this
By riverrock
Jodelman wrote:In the 15 years or so and about 1500 hours that I had the old tyres, I never rotated them and there was little, if any, uneven wear. Indeed, the tread was still very healthy but careful examination found a split at the bottom of one tread down to the casing. What I learned (and everyone else already knew!) was that aged tyres need replacing even if the tread is still good.

To get the old tyres off the wheel I had to enlist the help of my local tyre fitters and their machine to break the seal or I am sure that I would have damaged my wheel as well.

I suspect this is something to do with our very long hard runway and the fact we've been doing tailwheel conversions with her, so lots of touch and goes!
Sounds like you didn't have much ware at all so uneven may not have been noticeable.
We ended up down till we noticed canvas so didn't have time to start the Mod process!
By Duncan M
Thanks for the information.
I am not a member of the yahoo group, will take a look.
Kitty hawk, have found references you gave but can’t get the reports. Do I need to contact LAA for them?
I have a D117A but the legs are from a D120. It is wear in the scissor link in these legs that causes excessive toe in, and the subsequent wear to outside of tread. The scissor links are due for attention but thought maybe a mod to different tyre size and disc brakes was worth looking at.
Tyres last about 100 hours including “one turn round” at present.
Landing mostly on tarmac and scissor link wear are the causes.