Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
My second flight in the circuit as I transition to GA from LSA.
I'm flying a 1976 Cessna 172 Skyhawk... and I'm really enjoying the transition from LSA... but it does make you have to start over in some ways. I can get distracted with the new flight characteristics and then forget simple stuff like radio calls and spatial awareness in the circuit. But it's coming along.
Lockhaven, James Chan liked this
Thanks for sharing. One little observation... It looks like you have the carb heat hot all the way to the ground? My training was always to put carb heat in at 300ft so that full power would be available should i need to go-around.

I'm not an instructor and not saying whether one is more right than the other, just interested, thats all.
SimonM wrote:Thanks for sharing. One little observation... It looks like you have the carb heat hot all the way to the ground? My training was always to put carb heat in at 300ft so that full power would be available should i need to go-around.

I'm not an instructor and not saying whether one is more right than the other, just interested, thats all.

It’s good practice to select carb heat to cold on shortish final (200’ perhaps) but the main thing which will stop you going around in a 172 is the barn door hanging off the back of the wing, not being 5 hp short. :wink:
Ikarus wrote:That C42 will have a tear in its eye - surely not leaving the aircraft you got your licence on already :shock:

Ikarus... well it's not my choice however. I'd be flying the Ikarus but the flight school that owned the C 42 has closed and the only other C 42 is over 300 km from here. Right now I have a permit to fly nothing!
I can apply my LSA hours towards my Rec Pilot Permit in GA... so that's that really.
I did love to fly the Ikarus but she's gone... still for sale actually if you're interested. He was trying to sell shares of it but I can't afford all the other associated costs.
Chris Martyr wrote:
astroguy wrote: then forget simple stuff like radio calls and spatial awareness in the circuit.quote]

But that can happen in any aeroplane .

So which of the two aircraft in question would you say was the best one to learn in ?

I have over 80 hours in the LSA and only 4 hours in Cessna 172.
The Ikarus with it's small size and low Vs really gave me confidence. Definitly like learning to ride a motorcycle...start with something that builds confidence then move forward.
I"ll say this.... it actually seems easier to land the Cessna because of it's weight.... Dry weight is something like 1,800 lbs but the Ikarus dry is 606 lbs.
This translates to any side gusts during landing to be a much bigger deal in the Ikaurs than the Cessna. I often would fill the Ikarus tank full and thak a heavy passenger.... I always had more authority during landing with more weight and therefore I feel it's nicer landing the Cessna. I might actually be that landing the Ikarus in wind has given me an edge because it is much more twitchy during landing if the winds are up.... many many corrections.
All that being said , I just like learning new things and I was starting to get a bit bored with burning around our practice areas and local cross country trips. The Cessna has more gauges to play with and more to learn about. Plus I can go to most any rental place and be able to fly after a check ride but here in Canada the only other craft that I can rent to fly is over 300 km from me. Very few LSA rentals here.
Gertie wrote:
SimonM wrote:Thanks for sharing. One little observation... It looks like you have the carb heat hot all the way to the ground? My training was always to put carb heat in at 300ft so that full power would be available should i need to go-around.

I never found it difficult to push two knobs in at once.

Hi, Well I'm not too sure as I only have 3 hours in GA but I'm following my instructors guidance. But you are correct , we remove carb heat and flaps to neutral immediately after landing.
TheFarmer wrote:With about 3000 metres available on the average USA airfield, I expect the last time someone did a go around for lack of runway length was in 1966.

Hello, this definitly wasn't a lack of runway issue... I only have 4 hours flight time in GA (and only 1.5 hours in the last year) and this was a gusty day... bascially I've only ever done a couple of go arounds but my lack of experience on this aircraft got me a bit nervous as we were swept and tilted to t he right... but yes you are correct... my instructor immediately said that this situation was well padded with recovery time!

Yes, I've re read this post and I think that I'll mention this question to my instructor as it does make sense.
astroguy wrote:
Gertie wrote:I never found it difficult to push two knobs in at once.

Hi, Well I'm not too sure as I only have 3 hours in GA but I'm following my instructors guidance. But you are correct , we remove carb heat and flaps to neutral immediately after landing.

Yes, you should, of course, do what your instructor teaches, not what someone on the internet says!

There are different ways of teaching many things: usually they've all got reasoning behind them, and they all work.
Ikarus wrote:Hi Dave

Well if the LSA outfit has closed you have no option - what a stroke of bad luck , good luck anyway :thumright:

Yes... I can't say that I didn't see it coming... out of the three flying clubs at CYGK,.... two have folded in the last few months. The owner did offer us 1/4 shares but the costs were going to be more than I can afford.
She is up for sale now.... $15,000 per quarter share and 1,300 hours on hobbs.
I hope to move all of my LSA hours towards a Rec Pilot permit... CARS 422.1 or something like that. I've confirmed with Transport Canada... now I have to see if I can convince the local flying club to accept this? Not too sure but as long as I get to solo shortly then I don't really care too much anyhow.
Are you in Canada? I suppose you fly the Ikarus?