The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By MikeW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
seanxair wrote:I have Carlisle Turfglide 8.00-6 tyres on mine. A direct replacement for the originals. They appear to be a general golf buggy type but quite deep. Never had any problems with them and run them to the exact pressure that requires two thumbs to make an impression :D

They look absolutely ideal - but they only make them in that one size unfortunately!
By TheFarmer
I put these on all four of my Kitfoxes.

£40 each.

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/nanco- ... n800-slick

They’re cheap and do the job well, and they’ll fit on your rims without tubes

While the tyres are off, sand down inside the rims and brush with varnish liberally, as over time they can become permeable to air and this seals them, helping them keep pressure. The Nancos run at 8psi, and don’t be tempted to run any higher.

Also, don’t use tubes as the low running pressure can mean the tyre/tubes can slip when you land on tarmac at that low pressure, and you could rip a valve stem off. Never happened to me in 600 hours, but I’ve read about it.

Yes, they’re big tyres, but they don’t slow you down and you’ll fly even from the dampest strip with no problems.
By MikeW
@Sooty25

I was clearing out old paperwork and came across the attached Skystar newsletter from Jan 95 about wheel options, may be of interest. Surprised to see that the 8"ATV wheels and the 6" Matcos do use the same brake caliper and disk. (The 8" wheels have 3 little blocks welded on for disk attachment.)
I wonder why they felt the need to change from Matco to Cleveland?
By Sooty25
MikeW wrote:@Sooty25

I was clearing out old paperwork and came across the attached Skystar newsletter from Jan 95 about wheel options, may be of interest. Surprised to see that the 8"ATV wheels and the 6" Matcos do use the same brake caliper and disk. (The 8" wheels have 3 little blocks welded on for disk attachment.)
I wonder why they felt the need to change from Matco to Cleveland?

That is interesting! I'm now in the market for a set of 8" wheels if anyone has a spare set. Our strip gets waterlogged most winters and some wider rubber might just extend my flying season.