Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Sorry, I do have one piece of glass normally with my “5 piece” - with an iPhone 5 (soon to be a bigger 6plus) velcro’d to the panel running the SkyDemon traffic display connected to a SkyEcho for FLARM and ADS-B warning.

A nice and simple display it is too. Having flown with lots of glass (NESIS, Dynon and Garmin) or even in some of Her Majesty’s finest, I personally find that glass has got too complicated and drags the pilot “heads in too much” in VFR GA. When flying the Eurostar SL with a NESIS III then I would nearly always fly with it in the ‘classic screen’ view with the big-6 displayed. Then it wasn’t a distraction. Even though these Eurostars had Trig ADS-B Out, stand-alone FLARM and PAW helping me, it still made me look out of the window for other aircraft who had none.
Nick, davef77 liked this
By BobD
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ahem.... cough, cough

Just to get back to one of the original questions when I started this thread:

Tim, I get the impression (but don't know for sure) that if I used the full PFMS EasyVFR package, I could create my flight plans with that, and the COMMs data would be transferred with the FP when I send it to SV. Perhaps someone who uses that approach will comment

Shirley someone on here is using EasyVFR and Skyview, and able to confirm or otherwise my supposition ?
@Tim Dawson AIUI he would like all the en-route frequencies/names to be loaded from the plog.
BobD wrote:The one part of the integration that I am missing is the ability to use the SV function of transferring the COMMS frequency to the radio from the SV FP, as the frequencies don’t appear to be transferred with the FP waypoints from SD. Setting up the FP from scratch using SV in the aircraft seems like something that would take way too long each time I want to go flying, as I rarely fly the same route.
By Paul_Sengupta
Dave W wrote:Certainly not - that's what the RV's for... :wink:

Should we ask how it's coming along?

Rob P wrote:an aircraft that flies itself for 99.9% of the time

And incidentally beyond my abilities.

But you only have to do 0.1%.

Oh.

Nick wrote:Kinardia

Think even the manufacturer agrees with you Rob & Gaz on how hard they are to use. Or maybe it was to develop! ;-)
Rob P liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
One of the benefits of glass is the engine instruments are not spread all over the place.
That is why the two brand new trainers I have ordered have standard instruments and a screen for the engine etc.
EFIS is no better or worse for VFR flying and flight training.
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P liked this
By BobD
neilmurg wrote:@Tim Dawson AIUI he would like all the en-route frequencies/names to be loaded from the plog.
BobD wrote:The one part of the integration that I am missing is the ability to use the SV function of transferring the COMMS frequency to the radio from the SV FP, as the frequencies don’t appear to be transferred with the FP waypoints from SD. Setting up the FP from scratch using SV in the aircraft seems like something that would take way too long each time I want to go flying, as I rarely fly the same route.

Correct. The SV user manual says that Airports or waypoints "that have COM frequencies associated with them can have their frequencies sent to a connected COM by pressing TUNE > COM" or APT> COM. Page 7-40 of Skyview Classic Pilot's User Guide - Revision Z.

I'm just off to the airport, so I'll double check that this isn't currently possible on a FP sent from SD to SV via Wi-Fi.
Sir Morley Steven wrote:One of the benefits of glass is the engine instruments are not spread all over the place.

I have to agree that for engine management functions glass is a lot better

Rob P
By BobD
Paul, I can't try if from PocketFMS as well, as you need EasyVFR to do this. However, I have had the following comment from Rob Weijers of PocketFMS

"Comm's are NOT part of the flightplan data transfered to the SkyView (I know for sure since I developed it ;-))."

It would appear that COMMS are not transferred from SkyDemon either.

However, I carried out a test at the airfield today, and it appears I was wrong in that using the FP from SD, one can get the COMMS data into the SV Radio, but I think the data comes from the PFMS aeronautical database. When you use the TUNE>COM or APT>COM from within FP in SV it loads the ICOA designator at the bottom of the radio. However, it does not change either the active or standby frequency display, which is why I thought it wasn't working. However, If one taps one of the buttons on the front of the radio console (TWR, ATIS, GND, ATC or APT, ), the correct frequency is put into the standby display, and then pressing the flip flop transfers it to the active display.

It would appear that the frequencies are not coming from the SD FP, but from the aeronautical data stored as part of the PocketFMS updates, so I would expect the same functionality from a EasyVFR FP (and in his e-mail, Rob Weijers thinks so too).

Having gone through this experiment, I have come to the conclusion that this functionality would only really be of benefit if flying between major airports that use several frequencies, and is probably overkill for the type of flying I do, (VFR between small airports and airfields). It's a lot of button pushing to achieve the desired result, so I think I'll continue to just dial up the en-route and airfield frequencies I use and that are printed out on the SD Pilot Log.
Stu B liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
BobD wrote:Paul, I can't try if from PocketFMS as well, as you need EasyVFR to do this.

Ah, I'd have thought for 119 Euros a year or whatever it was, you got a combined (and integrated?!) system! Maybe not.

Glad the system is working as it should, anyway!
Your 119 Euros gets you the data for the Dynons, covering Europe, USA, Canada, Oz & NZ, with the monthly updates. To get the EasyVFR software that you can run on IOS, Android, Windows & Macs you need the full "Frequent Flyer" subscription, which also provides the same Dynon data package. That costs 31 Euros more than just the Dynon data package. It also allows you to pass over into the Dynon any airfield plates you have downloaded into EasyVFR (mostly at no extra cost as they are published in the AIPs).
By russp
I do fly with Skyview and EasyVFR - all the comms frequencies are available from your flightplan screen once you have transferred over your flightplan - but it's a SV function not an EasyVFR one. You do need the aerodata to keep the comms database up to date though. I was a runway HD user pre skyview but I've transferred over to Easy VFR now so I only need the one subscription - the new version looks like it will definitely give SD a run for it's money. I also use a pilot aware which feeds my ipad and my skyview - I tend to run the SV zoomed in for traffic avoidance and the ipad more zoomed out as a backup to the SV nav and mostly for the excellent horizontal view. Get traffic on the EFIS screen too with the pilot aware feeding skyview traffic data. It seems to me that having skyview and not paying for the data doesn't make sense, once you've paid that you might as well just use easyvfr for the small extra cost compared with a SD or similar subscription.
PaulSS liked this