For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
riverrock wrote:However - a person without a bank account? Not sure I know any of those! Near impossible to live now without one.

About 2m of them apparently.
Complete pain for several projects I've worked on, where e.g. we've wanted a system that's debit/credit card payment only .... but, on no, for social inclusion you've got to accept cash (and all the moving parts, cash collections, risk to staff and thefts that goes with it)
rikur_ wrote:
riverrock wrote:However - a person without a bank account? ..

About 2m of them apparently.
.., for social inclusion you've got to accept cash (and all the moving parts, cash collections, risk to staff and thefts that goes with it)

Interesting social history, related to Truck Acts. When I started work for my first major employer, early '70s, a high proportion (it seemed) of 'white' as well as 'blue collar' staff still opted to receive pay weekly, in cash. Every Friday morning they would queue outside one small office in one of the several buildings on the site, for many requiring an appreciable walk. This considerably reduced the productivity of Fridays. On the other hand, the employer-run shop outlet in that building, selling treats like buns rather more expensively than a typical commercial bakery, always sold most on those mornings, rather negating the law's attempt to protect employees from rapacious employers .. :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_Acts
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would imagine that anyone who has been employed in, or entered the employees' domain of an office, shop or industrial premises, w ill have seen these large, yellowing, dog-eared posters pinned up, headed by a very imposing Government crest /coat of arms.

Seldom, if ever read by those to whom they are addressed, the display of them,to employees, is mandatory. That's where I learned of the Truck Acts.
Having paid for it, I was going to damned well read it. I think I succumbed to boredom very rapidly and when I sold the shop, I think the poster remained.
kanga liked this
we still use cheques quite a bit in the scouting organisation which for a lot of people are a pain to pay in.

Then halifax (other banks are available) brought out a feature on the mobile banking app being able to snap a picture of the cheque and pay it in.

It works up to £500, snap a picture of the front and bank then hold onto the cheque till it have cleared.

Iv done quite a few now like this and it works a treat.