Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave W wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:.... the iPad mini screen got so cluttered up with EZYs at FL 350....

The SD and PAW (online setup) instructions did deal with that from the beginning. They still do.

Hello Dave It didn't take you long to chime in: Rob P and Paul B will be along soon, fortunately I only have to read one of them.

I read the instructions, naturally, and dealt with it on the ground: Intermittent shutting down of the iPad however required a re- setting in the air: an altogether different set of circumstances, when alone in the cabin and keeping a lookout on a hot summer's day.

Peter :wink:
PS: The OP was asking for opinions on which tablet to use with SD : I gave mine.
By stevelup
mo0g wrote:That sounds like a write off if you damage the screen then?

Take more care of your stuff would be my only suggestion...

It's not quite a write-off - Apple will replace the screen (well, really, they usually just give you a new device) for the princely sum of £236.44. Yes, I know you can buy four new Android devices for the same money. But I don't care.

Or if you really can't trust yourself not to break it (I've never broken a single iPad or iPhone and have had both since launch), you could get AppleCare+
By Rob P
Steve, what's the presumed benefit of the bonded screen?

Only really interested in passing as it's a feature of the Huawei

Rob P

I'm also happy this post will have Peter wondering what I'm saying about him, confirming his paranoia :D
By stevelup
A true optically bonded screen helps in direct sunlight.

If you have two pieces of glass with a gap between them, light enters the device, then bounces constantly between the two bits of glass. This significantly reduces contrast as all the ambient light is effectively 'trapped'

With an bonded screen, the only reflective surface is the outer part of the glass, and if you then treat that surface with a good quality anti-reflective coating, you can further reduce the impact ambient light has.

You sure the Huawei thing really has an optically bonded screen? I can't find any reference. It's very expensive tech which is why it only appears on Apple's high end devices. Some manufacturers use the phrase to simply describe something that's stuck together or stuck to the frame of the unit. It's not the same thing.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Thanks. Just something I read when researching it, maybe got it wrong, but then at over two hundred quid with the VAT the M5 is high end in the real world

Rob P :D
By Dodo
One of the shareoplanes I have access to has an ipad mini 2 mounted in an airgizmo dock on the panel. Am I correct in thinking that the latest ipad mini (or in fact anything later than a 3) won't fit?
By PeteSpencer
Dodo wrote:One of the shareoplanes I have access to has an ipad mini 2 mounted in an airgizmo dock on the panel. Am I correct in thinking that the latest ipad mini (or in fact anything later than a 3) won't fit?

Yes you are correct.

Peter
Dodo liked this
Dodo wrote:One of the shareoplanes I have access to has an ipad mini 2 mounted in an airgizmo dock on the panel. Am I correct in thinking that the latest ipad mini (or in fact anything later than a 3) won't fit?

The only device that has simliar measurements to an Ipadmini2 is a Samsung Galaxy S2 8 (get T713 version), which has exactly the same height and width as the Ipadmini2 but is slightly thinner so should fit in the same dock albeit a little loosely.
Dodo liked this
By stevelup
PeteSpencer wrote:

Yes you are correct.

Agreed. I think in the case of the AirGizmos thing, this is correct. I doubt an iPad Mini 4/5 would fit in an iPad Mini 1/2/3 housing because it has extremely tight tolerances.

Other slightly more flexible holders can be abused. I use an iPad Mini 4 in a RAM mount designed for the original iPad Mini 2 and it is fine.

Mini 4 Dims: 203 x 134 x 6.1mm
Mini 2 Dims: 200 x 135 x 7.5mm

For me, it was the length that was the issue - those extra 3mm make the roller latch thing quite tight.
By mikehallam
Saw this NOTAM. Noticed Oxford has had short closures but this is a bit longer. Any known reason ?

OXFORD ATZ DEACTIVATED. AD CLSD.

TO: 20 Jun 2019 19:30 GMT (20:30 BST)
SCHEDULE: 1900-1930
By Rob P
You can hardly call half an hour 'long'

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
stevelup wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:

Yes you are correct.

Agreed. I think in the case of the AirGizmos thing, this is correct. I doubt an iPad Mini 4/5 would fit in an iPad Mini 1/2/3 housing because it has extremely tight tolerances.

Other slightly more flexible holders can be abused. I use an iPad Mini 4 in a RAM mount designed for the original iPad Mini 2 and it is fine.

Mini 4 Dims: 203 x 134 x 6.1mm
Mini 2 Dims: 200 x 135 x 7.5mm

For me, it was the length that was the issue - those extra 3mm make the roller latch thing quite tight.

The Brodit people make separate mounts for all the different iPad Minis: The one I got was friction fit slide-in for mini 4 with integral plug/cable at the base.They specifically warn to order exact correct size.

Peter