Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It happened to me for the first time this weekend, that I got an IFR clearance including the squawk 1000 for a flight from Cannes to Calais.

1000 is a special squawk in that it means that ATC units use your Mode S Flight ID to associate your radar return with your flight plan - rather than a more conventional unique numerical squawk.

The allocation of a 1000 squawk for flights remaining in Europe seems to be becoming increasingly common - and yet, it never happens (it seems to me) if either the origin or destination is the UK.

Do any of our ATCers know why that should be? Is it as simple as the UK ATC computers aren't able to use a Mode S return to connect the blob on the screen to the flight plan?
johnm liked this
By AlanM
At Jersey, Transfer of Identification using Mode S AIF (Aircraft Identification Feature) may take place between Jersey, Brest ACC, Guernsey approach and Rennes Approach.

However we cannot use AIF when dealing with London Area Control (or, bizarelly, Iroise Approach)

I thought it was equipment based but of course LAC at Swanwick have Mode S radars.
By Marvin
There are many technical hitches to implementing this not only in the radars, the UK Civil Radars are Mode-S, but the processing in the En-Route side as well as the Destination Airport. In addition the version of OLDI message used to communicate between centres and the subsequent communication with the airport systems.

In the UK there are some 27+ ANSP who all need to adopt and update equipment to facilitate to provide the end-to-end capability. In France, Germany etc there is only one!

While the UK in many areas of ATC break ground, in other areas, where multiple ANSP are involved, progress can be sluggish.
By James Chan
n the UK there are some 27+ ANSP who all need to adopt and update equipment to facilitate to provide the end-to-end capability. In France, Germany etc there is only one!

Similar to telecoms, does there need to be better regulation for a common technical interface between all these ANSPs?

A slightly different issue, but it's still a bit sad to have to change squawk so many times on a cross-country VFR flight when I have mode S. It also ties up extra RT time.
By JonathanB
AlanM wrote:I thought it was equipment based but of course LAC at Swanwick have Mode S radars.

What the radars receive and what is presented to the end user is not necessarily analogous!
By AlanM
JonathanB wrote:
AlanM wrote:I thought it was equipment based but of course LAC at Swanwick have Mode S radars.

What the radars receive and what is presented to the end user is not necessarily analogous!

Nothing changes eh?!

Can you on the west end use the AIF with other units? (Newquay/Exeter etc)
By GonzoEGLL
James Chan wrote:
n the UK there are some 27+ ANSP who all need to adopt and update equipment to facilitate to provide the end-to-end capability. In France, Germany etc there is only one!

Similar to telecoms, does there need to be better regulation for a common technical interface between all these ANSPs?

A slightly different issue, but it's still a bit sad to have to change squawk so many times on a cross-country VFR flight when I have mode S. It also ties up extra RT time.

There are common technical interfaces.....AFTN and voice telephone.

Yes, I know (!!!), But some of those ANSPs are small towers with a handful of employees with no money.

On SSR codes, because there is so much Class G, SSR codes are the only way at the moment of an ATSU discriminating which other ATSU is in contact with an aircraft of interest.
derekf liked this
By townleyc
We will all be OK when Corbyn gets in - he will nationalise the lot :(

BTW can I unlike my own post?

KE