Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Back in the day I did NPPL(M)-NPPL(SSEA) in 5 hours then got the LAPL just with a form and a fee.

What’s the route now? I know the first bit is the same but how do you transition from NPPL to an EASA license in the easiest way?
By low&slow
carlmeek wrote:What’s the route now? I know the first bit is the same but how do you transition from NPPL to an EASA license in the easiest way?

Time travel. You need to get the NPPL SSEA rating before 8th April 2018.

Actually an NPPL SLMG can still be used to get an LAPL(S) with TMG privileges. (The only gliding you need to do is the stop engine part of the NPPL training.) You can then do what it takes to get an LAPL(A).
By Paul_Sengupta
B1engineer wrote:Have a look in the licensing forum section. There is no straight forward way to go from ssea to EASA.

There is a straightforward way. Do the whole course again. 'tis the EASA way.
By patowalker
Until 8 April 2023, a Member State may issue licences for aeroplanes and helicopters as laid down in Subpart B of Annex I to this Regulation with specified limited privileges, subject to the following conditions:

The above fits an NPPL perfectly and that then all that is required or a LAPL is:
(e)holdersof such licences shall be issued with an unrestricted licence pursuant to Subpart B of Annex I to this Regulationafter:
(i)demonstrating to the competent authority that the flight training received fully covers the flight training required in Subpart B of AnnexI to this Regulation for the relevant aircraft category;
(ii)complying with the recency requirements for the relevant aircraft category, as established in Subpart B of Annex Ito this Regulation, when applying for the issuance of the LAPL; and
(iii)passingthe skill test for the LAPL in the relevant aircraft category within a period of 6 months preceding the application for the issuance of the LAPL.

So, an NPPL and skill test will get you a LAPL, sometime soon. :)
By low&slow
I don't think that will help NPPL microlight holders get an LAPL(A). Subpart B to Annex I is the LAPL part of Part FCL, so any modular training will have to include 30 hours of training in an SEP or TMG before the skill test.

Not the same as the old pre-2018 conversion.
By patowalker
I agree it is not the same as the old conversion, but I don't think it will require 30 hours of training in a SEP.
Microlights are not defined in the basic regulation or Part-FCL, so must come under the "aeroplanes", mentioned in FCL.110.A a).

Only 15 hours dual instruction are required in the class in which the skill test is to be taken, and 50% of those can be credited to pilots with previous PIC experience. That could mean that 7.5 hours are now required, rather than the previous 5 hours.

FCL.110.A LAPL(A) — Experience requirements and crediting
(a) Applicants for an LAPL(A) shall have completed at least 30 hours of flight instruction on aeroplanes or TMGs, including at least:
(1) 15 hours of dual flight instruction in the class in which the skill test will be taken;
(2) 6 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 3 hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least 1 cross-country flight of at least 150 km (80 NM), during which 1 full stop landing at an aerodrome different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made.
(b) Specific requirements for applicants holding an LAPL(S) with TMG extension. Applicants for an LAPL(A) holding an LAPL(S) with TMG extension shall have completed at least 21 hours of flight time on TMGs after the endorsement of the TMG extension and complied with the requirements of FCL.135.A(a) on aeroplanes.
(c) Crediting. Applicants with prior experience as PIC may be credited towards the requirements in (a).

The amount of credit shall be decided by the ATO where the pilot undergoes the training course, on the basis of a pre-entry flight test, but shall in any case:
(1) not exceed the total flight time as PIC;
(2) not exceed 50 % of the hours required in (a);
(3) not include the requirements of (a)(2).
By carlmeek
I’m glad I asked the question now, not clear or obvious at all!

My ambition is to create a Dave-W style flow chart of license, summary privileges and how to transition.

I think I know most of it, but need to get this final piece agreed!

Once I’ve done it I will post here and we can all have a pie fight over getting the details right :-)
By Balliol
That PIC credit is for people with PIC time in aeroplanes such as military, expired foreign licences, time prior to 2012 etc... PIC in microlights doesn’t count sadly so people are stuck with 30hrs instruction in an aeroplane being required. An upgrade route really needs sorting :(
By patowalker
The NPPL SSEA is a sub-ICAO licence, just like an NPPL (M). So if it doesnt count for one, it can't count for the other, which is ridiculous. UK microlight hours counted for my FAA private pilot certificate.

FCL.010 Definitions
For the purposes of this Part, the following definitions apply:
'Aeroplane’ means an engine-driven fixed-wing aircraft heavier than air which is supported in flight by the dynamic reaction of the air against its wings.
By patowalker
It seems to me that EASA is seeking to ease the route to a LAPL.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/opinions/opinion-082017

Article 12(2a)(b) of the Aircrew Regulation allows for an opt-out from the requirements of Part-FCL, Subpart B until 8 April 2018, therefore, most EASA Member States (MSs) still apply their national licensing requirements to issue national licences the privileges of which are similar to those of an LAPL.
Applicants for and holders of such modular LAPLs will need to comply with all Part-FCL requirements except that the MS may tailor the flight training and skill test to the limited privileges of the licence.
The proposed changes are expected to increase efficiency/proportionality by allowing MSs to continue with modular training routes for LAPLs.