Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sink Rate
I was privileged enough to compete in the most recent Reno air race. I had never been before but all I really have to say is that either as a competitor or spectator it'll change your life. Stunning event, worthy of our support and...well...wow!

Pit pass is essential IMHO. (If you aren't lucky enough to be enjoying the absolute best seat in the house!).

Rgds,
SR
Wildcat One liked this
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
… and for a man who doesn't blow his trumpet too loudly, here he is in action! :thumleft:

… and here! :pale:
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Great stuff Mr Watmough!

Ian
By Adrian
What fun! Perhaps a bit less so on a cloudy day when there are no shadows to help you spot others. I just try to make it back to Reno this year, if possible.
By Skymonster
So this would be Sink Rate doing his thing then...??? Excellent!!!

Photo taken out at the base of pylon 5 for the Formula One race on 13th September 2013...

Andy
By LowNSlow1
I'm finally getting to Reno this year, any advice from previous visitors?

I'll be getting a pit pass but is it worth getting grandstand seats?
By ratman
I have been twice (2016 and 2017); buying grandstand seats was essential for the Sunday and Saturday. Buy pit passes for the Thursday or Friday when there are still most aircraft there (they tend to thin out really quickly).

I stayed in the Silver Legacy, drove the 30 mins up each morning and parked in one of the many off-site charity car parks. It's a fantastic event full of true enthusiasts.

Once its all over, I suggest a drive down to Carson City airport; some amazing warbirds there both on the ramp and in the far hangar.

I hope you have a great time. R
Last edited by ratman on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By GonzoEGLL
LowNSlow1 wrote:I'm finally getting to Reno this year, any advice from previous visitors?

I got a grandstand ticket for 2017 and it does give you a great view. Plenty of room in the stands too, although I was only there on the Thursday and Friday so I didn’t see the finals.

I stayed at an AirBnB about 5 minutes away from the airfield.
By Hooligan
Once its all over, I suggest a drive down to Carson City airport; some amazing warlords there both on the ramp and in the far hangar.

Sounds rather intimidating!

Reno is amazing; I think the Unlimiteds might be approaching their last hurrah at Reno with a number of the modified Mustangs having seemingly retired in the last couple of years and yet you never know.

Twenty years since I went, would like to go back...
By Ben Twings
LowNSlow1 wrote:I'm finally getting to Reno this year, any advice from previous visitors?

I go most years, but it's only a 4 hour drive for me.

Reserved grandstand seating is not something that I would worry about. There's plenty of open seating even on the final weekend and easy to get a good view elsewhere too.

The Pit Pass is essential if you really want to get the full experience and get up close with the race aircraft and teams.

They're also including a STOL-drag race this year and I gather Mark Patey & Draco have just been practising at the qualifying rookie school.
Dusty_B liked this
By Lockhaven
For those of you who follow Trent Palmer and the Flying Cowboys on Youtube, they will be taking part in a new Reno STOL class race this year.

By Wildcat One
Go - you really owe it to yourself! A whole week was in my opinion a couple of days too long for me - pit pass essential.

Buy your T shirts early because by the last day, your size will have gone! :)

PS - didn't realise that my old friend Sam had raced there. Had he tod me, I'd have gone back to support!